Need some advise for training my new puppy

I have to say, I DO play tug with my puppies and dogs. It is the first way I motivate them to bring objects to me. Objects returned to me gets a short game of tug. I vary between releasing the tug and letting the dog return to me to re-engage and solicit me to tug, and taking the toy to toss it again. Yes, I am always in control of the game. I start the game, and I end the game. Yes, my dogs growl and make all kinds of noise when we are playing this game, but in my experience this is not a bad thing. It is a way for a dog to release energy and it builds drive for the dog to return to you and ask you to play tug with objects instead of playing the duck and run game.

I agree with this 100%. We play tug of war with all our dogs and played with our puppies this spring. I always tell anyone who plays with our dogs the game ends with you throwing the toy, The dog never "wins" the tug of war, but they still enjoy playing. Our dogs are beagles, a lab and a shepherd, so they maybe less likely to want to nip then other dogs though.

IFor the biting the hands the two things I have found that work the best are the Yipping like they really hurt you and then ignoring them (they learn the game ends if they bite) and for dogs that didn't work with (usually the most outgoing) I did the hand in the mouth thing. That is what my mom always did with our cats and dogs and it does work. You make them associate your hand in their mouth as an unplesent thing.

I started off the new year with an acd. He is doing great. Goes with me everywhere, but work. He is really into the bonding. It all starts with sit. That is the main thing I've been teaching him. When he is biting he sits, chasing chickens sit... Everytime he nips me I growl no and give him a rope. He is 4 months now and I know there are many more problems awaiting lol but it will be worth it

Quote: He is 4 months now and I know there are many more problems awaiting lol but it will be worth it

He will be worth it! But boy are they ever frustrating.
barnie.gif
One day mine does everything perfect and I am so happy to have such a great working dog. The next day he has forgotten everything and I'm ready to scream. The good thing is that we have many more good days then bad. The more he runs and plays the easier it is for him to focus on his job. Herding goats, pigs and now he has decided chickens are fun to herd to.
hmm.png

If I'm outside working too far away from the barn. Mainly when I'm on the tractor....when I get back he has herding everything into the back run in and is laying there guarding them. He decided to do this on his own. You have got to love their work ethic!

Do you mean it will make the biting problem worse? What translates into a game of tag, the game of fetch, tug o war, or putting my hand on his muzzle and saying "no biting".
I know that dogs don't have hands but ACD are known to be bite/nippers and I do not want to allow this behavior to become too pronounced but channeled into appropriate play.

Especially with dogs that are prone to nip/bite, teaching them bite inhibition and soft mouth training is really important. If you only teach them never to bite, they don't realize that biting with full strength is painful, so as an adult instead of a mouthing, you are faced with a severe bite.
You should focus on this before you focus on reducing the frequency of bites. I know puppy teeth are sharp and hurt, but they hurt a lot less than a full grown dog's jaws will.
http://www.clickertraining.com/node/725 This is a good article blurb on the best way,, and reason to go about this.

I am not sure if anybody has mentioned this yet, but be sure to let your dog meet as many people as possible as s/he is still young. Believe me! I learned that the hard way and now have a dog that isn't too nice around strangers and will try to bark/bite them. So allow your dog to meet many people! Take him for walks in town where he will meet people. You will wish you did if you don't.

Good point, Sunny. My obedience instructor started every new puppy class off saying that every puppy should meet 100 people before it's first birthday. Pups grow so fast and if the weather is bad or if we are busy we don't get around to socializing them like they should be. And then just don't how to act around people they don't know.

I am only waiting until he gets his puppy shots for safety. He is already trying to become alpha dog and is showing signs of being dog aggressive. Is there a way to deal with that?

Very cute puppy I raise boxers and train them. When you feed him feed him once a day and before you feed him make him work for his food. Easiest way I found to train is to use their food to train them. Be very stern, kind of like telling a kid no.
I have a 2month old cattle dog puppy. I want to start the training early to keep from having to undo the bad habits later. First what should we do about the biting (it is done when he plays) Currently when he does this I hold his mussel lightly and say "no biting" then try to redirect him to the chew toy. This works sometimes. Sometimes I try to play with him with the fussy chew animal thing. Is it ok to pretend growl and shake his head gentle back and forth like a tug of war? Or will that encourage more aggressive play? Sometimes I think he is sleepy and put him in his crate where he sleeps and where I keep his raw hide thing. Are these appropriate methods? We got him Monday so I do not have a lot of reading done yet? Here is a picture I just took. They are not very good and I know that we can get better later.

Back
Top Bottom