Need some eggs to put my green chile on

Alright
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you here
frow.gif

Thanks for the warm welcome. TwoCrows, I spend a fair amount of time in Ruidoso because my in-laws have a vacation home in the White Mountain Meadows subdivision right off Gavilan Canyon Road, really close to Alto. Could we stop by and see your chickens and coop the next time we are down there? My wife's been pretty excited to start raising chickens so she always enjoys seeing people's flocks and coops.

Does BYC have sections in the forum for local discussions/forums? I've looked but haven't found anything yet.
Ah....White Mountain Meadows! I drive by there all the time on my way into town. LOL We are off of Highway 220, Airport Rd. We just got back from Ruidoso a few moments ago for some pizza from Domino's on Sudderth Dr. LOL Just send me a PM when the time gets closer that you coming into town and we can talk further then.
smile.png

Oh, and here is the New Mexico thread that you can chat with people in NM. LOTS of people in Albuquerque and the East Mountains as well...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/18195/new-mexico

Welcome to the flock - my niece goes out there to see the quarter horse races(?) My sister lives out that way also. Neither have chickens tho.

The day has come to make it official. We got 2 Rhode Island Red and 2 Ameracauna chicks today. It took a while to get the temp in the brood tank up to 90. The top is a metal screen top so I put some cardboard and a knitted blanket on top to help hold the heat in.

Adorable! And so are the chicks! I used to be ground crew for a few "special shapes." Albuquerque is fabulous! Had a great time out there! Welcome again And I wish you could share the green chilies. That's is awesome on eggs. No better way to make an omelet! IMO.

Should I put antibiotic powder in the water for the new chicks? A person who was looking at the chicks when I was at the feedstore buying my chicks on Thursday suggested I add some antibiotic powder to their water for the first week if the feed I had didn't already have it. When I got home I checked that my Feed and Grow was not medicated. I have not gone back to the feed store (Village Mercantile in Corrales) for it yet but just wanted to get people's feelings about using it. How do I know when to use it otherwise? My wife phoned me at work to tell me that one of the chicks seems lethargic and not hanging out with the other 3. When she opened the lid to hold it, it made no effort to escape, the way the other 3 did. Being new to raising chickens, I don't really know what to look for.

You do not need any antibiotics in the water for new chicks. Unless they are sick, why medicate. As for medicated feed, it contains amprolium which helps to prevent cocci outbreaks. Basically a parasite that is in all chicks intestines to which they are not yet immune to if they get over loaded with it. If you keep a clean brooder, keep poop out of the feed and water, keep it dry and pick up after their pooping, they will develop enough immunity to cocci that you do not need medicated feed. :)

That chick that was sick died earlier tonight. My wife cried the most. We've only had them 4 days but she'd already gotten attached to it. I posted something in the Emergency forum and it was suggested that I give them electrolytes for a couple of days. I change the water in the morning and evening to keep it clean. The temp in the tank has been about 90 degrees. I took some of the covering off the screen top and now it's at about 87 degrees in the middle of the tank. They sleep well away from the heat lamp corner so maybe it's still too hot in the tank. Maybe the one that died simply had some sort of health issue that took a few days to become a problem. I don't have a great sense of the mortality rates for chicks, how many I can expect to lose, and so on.

That chick that was sick died earlier tonight. My wife cried the most. We've only had them 4 days but she'd already gotten attached to it. I posted something in the Emergency forum and it was suggested that I give them electrolytes for a couple of days. I change the water in the morning and evening to keep it clean. The temp in the tank has been about 90 degrees. I took some of the covering off the screen top and now it's at about 87 degrees in the middle of the tank. They sleep well away from the heat lamp corner so maybe it's still too hot in the tank. Maybe the one that died simply had some sort of health issue that took a few days to become a problem. I don't have a great sense of the mortality rates for chicks, how many I can expect to lose, and so on.
So sorry for the loss on your baby. Your thermometer may not be reading right as new hatchlings need to be started at 95 degrees. You do not want to cover the lid of the brooder with anything but some hardware cloth or something similar. You need good heat and oxygen exchange at all times. Keep the heat source off to one side, with the thermometer on the floor directly beneath the lamp. The food and water off on the other side so they have to leave the heat to get to the goods. Lower the heat 5 degrees each week for 6 weeks.

I think your thermometer is not reading right. 87 is way too cold for new babies. And if they are still trying to run from it, there is something going on there.

Back
Top Bottom