need some help asap for possible respiratory prob

pinkwindsong

Songster
8 Years
Mar 18, 2011
Laurens SC
Hi every one I need some help my young 11 week old LF dark Brahma roo is having a hard time breathing. seams he cant breath out of his nose at all.. very very slight drainage out of nostril. his eyes are alert but he has not eating this am yet and didn't want water as usual.... I don't have any med for chicken and don't get paid until tomorrow.. is there ANYTHING I can do for him! ANYTHING I can give him that I might have here in the house ? mashed cold tablets in water? what about Amoxi drops antibiotics..???
I hate seeing him feel bad and cant stand the idea of loosing him to a cold...

hey do chickens have adams apples.. ? hard spot between wattles. could be his tough where he is breathign thru his mouth ?

thanks )O(
Pink

Chickens do not get colds like humans it could be a respiratory infection which means that even if he gets better he would be a carrier for life and could infect other chickens. I would separate him now from rest of the flock, I would also do a search for the symptoms and see what matches it the best. Good luck.

Separate from flock, treat with Duramycin (Tetracycline Hudrochloride soluble powder for poultry). You can get it at most feed stores. It sounds respirtory, most likely contagious... but doesn't mean it will be a carrier. You would need to consult a vet to be sure of what it is. So I suggest going to a licensed professional first if you plan on reintroducing this bird to your flock for the long haul.
sad.png

Quote:
do you have any vetrx? says you can put 1 warmed drop down their throat and also rub onto their nostrils to help them breathe. says Amoxicillin individual treatment 1 capsule daily for 2 days. or mix 6 capsule per gallon of water for 5-7 days. hope your roo gets better, Pink.

I had a bottle of amoxicillien mixed and gave him a small dose also got some water in him and tsp of yogurt. he is now resting on my desk next to me.. still breathing thu his mouth but calm and relaxed.. fingers crossed this works.. I can imagine loosing him... Ill bring him a dog kennel into the house to night and keep him separated and cool so he doesnt have to fight the heat and this... what ever it is...

thank you all for such a quick response... )O(
Pink

Quote:
do you have any vetrx? says you can put 1 warmed drop down their throat and also rub onto their nostrils to help them breathe. says Amoxicillin individual treatment 1 capsule daily for 2 days. or mix 6 capsule per gallon of water for 5-7 days. hope your roo gets better, Pink.

gonna pick some of the vetrix up and make a first aid box for my little flockers.. ivemec too.. this just proves that i need to be better prepaired.

)O(
Pink

VetRX on the comb and beak makes them much more comfortable. If it's any consolation I went through similar with my Marans. I called the State Poultry lab and was told to treat for 14 days with Abios and if it returned after an additional 5 days to test them for nasties. It didn't return and my birds are now 24 and 22 weeks and very healthy, even though they haven't begun to lay just yet.

Quote:
this is very good news.. he's such a little love.. he is resting comfortable here on my desk next to me breathing easier trying to let him sleep as much as he needs to then Ill see if I cant get some sweet water in him as well as some hot oatmeal.. he loves hot oatmeal and his crop is empty but I don't think he slept much last night hes really tired...

do you think I could use Vicks vapor rub, till I get the vetrx..??? safe for babies... maybe ok for birds?

thanks )O(
Pink

Quote:
fyi...

I put a dab of vicks vapor rub in his comb and top of his beak. and he is already breathing a bit easier.. still a bit rattily but I figure it will take a couple days of antibiotic to get rid of that.. I think being in the house and not having that horrible heat bearing down on him is helping.. he does get sooo hot .. guesse thats part of having heavy birds in the south..

thanks for so much help so fast everyone..
Pink

Back
Top Bottom