Need some help with some terms

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KDailey, Sep 7, 2011.

1. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    Ok I'm seeing this all over the place and I have no clue what it means....

f1, f2, f3

What the heck are you people talking about?? lol

2. josh44

josh44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2008
    San Antonio Texas
    First generation, 2nd generation etc.

3. bigb-71

bigb-71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    Ceder ridge CA
    F1 - reperesents the the cross between two members of the fi generation . F2 repersents the cross between two members of the f1 generation . f3 reperesents the cross between two members of the f2 generation . and so on . hope that helps a little . its a breeding thing !

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  4. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Looks like you are talking about filial generations:

Offspring generation. F1 is the first offspring or filial generation; F2 is the second; and so on. Successive generations of progeny in a controlled series of crosses, starting with two specific parents (the P generation) and selfing or intercrossing the progeny of each new (F1; F2; . . . ) generation.

The P generation is the 'parent' that's when you buy great stock out of some impressive line of some animal or plant.

F1 would be the breeding stock's (the P generation) first decedents by blood

F2 would be the breeding stock's second direct decedents, the direct decedents of two F1s

F3 would be Great grands of F1, direct decedents of two F2s

5. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:that is correct... there is also B1, B2 which stands for the first time breeding back to the Original P(parent line).

6. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    I'm still learning on this too but for a good example, I think is the olive egg.

First generation would be offspring from say a maran(dark egg layer) crossed with a blue egg layer (P). These eggs would be blue but the chicks that hatch will grow up and lay olive eggs (F1). Then you can cross the chicks that come out of these F1 eggs back to daddy maran and have chicks in the next generation (F2) that will lay even darker eggs.

I think I got that right. Someone tell me if I'm making this more confusing or I'm wrong [​IMG]

7. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:the results from breeding and F1 back to Parent line is B1 not F2.. and just select for pea comb hens...

8. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    ok I got it. I figured it had something to do with the generations but not sure exactly which generations. lol

9. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    This is what I use. Please excuse me if I repeat information. Some of what I will post is found elsewhere in this thread.

P = parent

P X P = F1 ( first generation produced by crossing parents)

F1 X F1 = F2 ( the generation produced when two F1 are crossed)

F2 x F2 = F3 ( the generation produced when two F2 are crossed)

etc.

P X F1= BC1 ( the first generation that is back crossed to the recurrent or also called back cross parent)

P x BC1= BC2 (second generation that is back crossed to the recurrent or also called back cross parent)

etc.

F1 X BC2= BC2F2 ( second generation produced from a back cross 2 generation and F1 )

BC2F2 x BC2F2= BC2F3

etc.

10. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    chicken algebra [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by