Need some help with some terms

KDailey

Crazy Cochin Lady
8 Years
Jun 27, 2011
Bronson, Tx
Ok I'm seeing this all over the place and I have no clue what it means....

f1, f2, f3

What the heck are you people talking about?? lol

F1 - reperesents the the cross between two members of the fi generation . F2 repersents the cross between two members of the f1 generation . f3 reperesents the cross between two members of the f2 generation . and so on . hope that helps a little . its a breeding thing !

Last edited:
Looks like you are talking about filial generations:

Offspring generation. F1 is the first offspring or filial generation; F2 is the second; and so on. Successive generations of progeny in a controlled series of crosses, starting with two specific parents (the P generation) and selfing or intercrossing the progeny of each new (F1; F2; . . . ) generation.

The P generation is the 'parent' that's when you buy great stock out of some impressive line of some animal or plant.

F1 would be the breeding stock's (the P generation) first decedents by blood

F2 would be the breeding stock's second direct decedents, the direct decedents of two F1s

F3 would be Great grands of F1, direct decedents of two F2s

I'm still learning on this too but for a good example, I think is the olive egg.

First generation would be offspring from say a maran(dark egg layer) crossed with a blue egg layer (P). These eggs would be blue but the chicks that hatch will grow up and lay olive eggs (F1). Then you can cross the chicks that come out of these F1 eggs back to daddy maran and have chicks in the next generation (F2) that will lay even darker eggs.

I think I got that right. Someone tell me if I'm making this more confusing or I'm wrong
hide.gif

ok I got it. I figured it had something to do with the generations but not sure exactly which generations. lol

This is what I use. Please excuse me if I repeat information. Some of what I will post is found elsewhere in this thread.

P = parent

P X P = F1 ( first generation produced by crossing parents)

F1 X F1 = F2 ( the generation produced when two F1 are crossed)

F2 x F2 = F3 ( the generation produced when two F2 are crossed)

etc.

P X F1= BC1 ( the first generation that is back crossed to the recurrent or also called back cross parent)

P x BC1= BC2 (second generation that is back crossed to the recurrent or also called back cross parent)

etc.

F1 X BC2= BC2F2 ( second generation produced from a back cross 2 generation and F1 )

BC2F2 x BC2F2= BC2F3

etc.

Back
Top Bottom