Need some ideas for shade bushes in a non roofed chicken pen. (Updated w/ pics pg 2)

So I've got my coop and run, but also have fenced off a section of my backyard just for the chickens. Since a couple of the ninjas have figured out a way to hope over the 4ft fence, I don't let them out unless I am home since they always seem to make a bee line for my garden.

I want to give them some shade in the pen. I am thinking maybe a blackberry bush and fig tree? It won't bother me if the fruit are picked clean.

Any other thoughts on some bushes? I am in south Louisiana and it gets hot and humid down here. Their coop doesn't offer a ton of relief since it is lacking some ventilation (I will be fixing this in the near future).
Walters Vibirnum (spelling?), High bush blueberry

Another update. I think I’ve decided on a layout.
1B79DDD0-F1A9-4B3F-8034-62D89BE07C79.jpeg

Purple will be blackberry, green a fig tree, and yellow will be Louisiana iris. That corner is too wet to do much else with and I don’t want a large tree like a bald cypress.

I also got the sun shade over the run so they’ve got some relief from the heat.
My 5ft metal fencing should be in by the end of the week so I’ll be able to remove the plastic.

Does anyone know if jasmine is ok the pair with chickens? I’ve always been a big fan of star jasmine and wouldn’t mind getting it to grow on the fence.

That looks great, I would tie up the fig tree as it grows, so the hens don't smash it down into ground cover. :lau :lau
I have jasmine that my girls have always had access to and have not had a problem to the best of my knowledge. I have not researched it however.
You will not only have shade, but protection from raptors as well. Your hens will also have a pretty, wonderful smelling yard!

Every part of the jasmine plant is poisonous. You never hear of anyone or any thing dying from it so it probably tastes really bad.
Pretty sure this is not true for true jasmines, such as white star jasmine.

"Carolina Jessamine" with the yellow flowers, is toxic/poisonous, also pretty sure it's not even an actual "jasmine" even though a lot of people call it one.

Pretty sure this is not true for true jasmines, such as white star jasmine.

"Carolina Jessamine" with the yellow flowers, is toxic/poisonous, also pretty sure it's not even an actual "jasmine" even though a lot of people call it one.
Thank you. I grew up with the yellow one and my mom wouldn't even me touch them.

Back
Top Bottom