Need some input.... Meat CSA.

Jeff,

Are you doing this based on weight or cut? Most CSA's are based on weight.

Example of someone here in WI

Mixed Half Share is 10lbs a month = $504 (6 months)
Mixed Whole Share is 20lbs a month = $1008 (6 months)

Mixed = Chicken, Pork, Lamb and Beef
Cuts (steaks more expensive cuts) change monthly.

No idea on pricing, but apparently we eat too much meat at my house. Either package would only do for about 2 wks worth here. I'd need 2 shares every month.
hu.gif

Personally when we get a cow, I go for the ground, roasts and round steaks. The few steaks I do get are usually still there even after the soupbones get used. I like pork steaks, but beef steaks...
hmm.png
I don't really care for.

Quote:
Yes, the pigs and cows will be USDA inspected. I'm fortunate to have a processor that is working with me on this to make it work. Everything will be legit, it's easier that way instead of skirting around the rules. But yes, you can technically sell it first by selling the whole animal under contract but then selling cuts A la Carte makes it touchy.

Quote:
I'm going to be charging by the weight. So it will be about 30-34 pounds. I will probably sell the steaks A la Carte just because it will be way easier and probably way less hassle. So sirloins, ribeyes, porterhouses, and t-bones will all be sold exclusively to CSA members. This will take the ease off of the pricing a little bit too.

32-34 pounds a month probably $240.00 / month. Small downpayment to sign up of $65.00 which will pay for the turkey and then payment will be monthly.

Quote:
Ya, it's going to be hit and miss. It's hard to make a package that fits everyone. Too much and you don't get your average family interested.... too little and it's only fit for a couple. This is not easy, especially when I only have 1 cow a month to work with. It would be much easier to have the inventory of 3-4 cows. Then you could do 3 packages, one for huge families, medium, and small.

As for right now though, I'm going to shoot for 4 people in a family. 2 adults and 2 kids.... Going out to eat also effects how much they eat. But like Tim said, people need to realize to just freeze it for winter use. That will be one of the selling points in trying to get this off of the ground.

Meat is a tough sell for many CSA members. I stoped selling meat on a CSA system. To hard to please every customer. We are an organic system and sell our poultry whole per bird and our pork and beef by the 1/2 or whole. This leaves the cuts and by products use up to the customer. Thats just my opinion on the meat side of things.

Best of Luck:thumbsup

Quote:
We're just a family of 5. I could maybe stretch things out to 3 wks, but this would be more comfortable for us for 2 with maybe just a small bit frozen for later use. 2 shares would certainly do a whole month. If the bacon, sausage and breakfast links and eggs went for say weekend breakfasts I see 15 other meals if you leave out the steaks. It would cover most of the kids and my lunches too though. Things like the 2 packs of hamburger patties and the 2 cut up chickens would be cooked for 1 dinner and the leftovers for the next days lunches. The 2 packs of pork chops would be one dinner. 5 lbs ground beef = 5 dinners and some leftovers for lunches. etc.

I guess we don't eat out enough.

I can't think of the names right now, but there are a couple national groups/programs that do food boxes or shares. One was/is like a food co-op, sorry can't think of the name but it was like meat shares/boxes and veggie shares/boxes. One is http://www.angelfoodministries.com/menus/menu_2011-01_en.asp Wish I could remember the name of the other darnit as it was last I knew more specific breakdowns. But I would say they've long histories of quantity and type research you could look to as a guide or model. Obviously your pricing structure would be different.

Our family personally would likely only be interested in something like Talihofarms said, purchasing a half or whole type of thing, but I could see the appeal for other less DIY or rural peeps. GL!
thumbsup.gif

Jeff,
This is way minor, but if you are trying to keep cost down. What is it costing extra for the patties? If there are 1/4 each just add 2 more lbs ground and let them patty them. Also I lke your Al a carte on steaks. If they are grass fed, some may not like the taste as much as a conventional fed animal.

Good luck!!

I don't want to go into this blind and not know exactly what a whole cow will give me.

Ck with your processor for exact quantities... we raise a grain feed beef annually to approx 1200 lbs and they process 750 lbs of meat. I do not remember the ratio to steaks/ground/misc.... but i know it is way heavy on the ground.

Someone mentioned the grain/grass fed.... follow up w. what your customers will buy/prefer...that is a HUGE HUGE preference difference.

AMAZING project Jeff. I know with your determination and planning to precise details, you will make a sure run of it. Wishing you much success!​

Quote:
That's awesome you are able to get a USDA stamp! I just assumed in my post that wasn't going to be an option for you, because there is such a shortage of inspected processing options for the small producer around my area. And by "shortage of options," I mean there is no option, in some cases.

Back
Top Bottom