Need Some Input on Drakes PLEASE

Amyh502

Hatching
Jan 22, 2020
I have around 25 mallards and the 3 oldest drakes are around a year old. I noticed today 2 of them are biting and laying on the other one, it doesn't appear they are hurting him. Is this normal behavior or is there something wrong with the drake that is getting the attention? It has been going on all day and if I separate them the minute they get back together they are at it again. They 2 are not bothering any of the other drakes or females.

It could just be hormones. The one getting attacked may be ill, ducks can be known for necrophilia and will attack and mate with sick or dead birds. It could be a squabble for dominance too.

My guess is hormones starting to ramp up for spring mating season. Drakes don't always play well with each other, even when there are enough ladies to go around. I would separate out the one that is getting picked on so you can keep an eye on him to rule out injury or illness. Make sure he seems to be eating, drinking, pooping, and otherwise acting normal. Hopefully he is ok.

My guess is hormones starting to ramp up for spring mating season. Drakes don't always play well with each other, even when there are enough ladies to go around. I would separate out the one that is getting picked on so you can keep an eye on him to rule out injury or illness. Make sure he seems to be eating, drinking, pooping, and otherwise acting normal. Hopefully he is ok.
Thank you for replying, I definitely considered he may be Ill so it wouldn't hurt to separate him just to make sure.

I have around 25 mallards and the 3 oldest drakes are around a year old. I noticed today 2 of them are biting and laying on the other one, it doesn't appear they are hurting him. Is this normal behavior or is there something wrong with the drake that is getting the attention? It has been going on all day and if I separate them the minute they get back together they are at it again. They 2 are not bothering any of the other drakes or females.
Pecking order for ducks.

You say "the 3 oldest drakes". How many drakes do you have in a group of 25 mallards? My thought is too many may be leading to increased aggression.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom