Need some reassurance and possible advice

ashley74

In the Brooder
Mar 17, 2015
Central Texas
So I got baby chicks one week ago. I had off all last week for spring break. My husband is retiring from the army and get a second job. Now most nights he is home during the day and the little ladies are in the room with him ( we have cats and although they haven't tried anything, I still don't trust them). However, this week is a weird week and he won't be here at all during the day Wednesday. That being said I am nervous about the heat lamp and fires. I don't know anyone in our area as we just moved here so I definatly don't trust anyone yet. I know they need the lamp on them. I guess I am just trying to be reassured that everything will be fine leaving it on and nobody home. I will be so worried about them and my home. Help!

I have my heat lamp secured to an old camera tripod. It is very stable and I can raise and lower it as needed. Our brooder is a tupperwear type bin. I cut the lid of the bin and put hardware cloth over it. Even if our dog knocked the lamp over, the lamp would not go into the bin and would rest on top of the lid which is the hardware cloth.

Congrats to your husband and thank him for his service!

Well as long as the lamp is in a safe place. Don't have it leaning up against things or touching the top of the cage but you should be totally fine. I go to work and sleep and everything else. My lamp is on 24/7. Just make sure it is an ok temp for your chickies and you should be totally fine. It's just a really hot light bulb. You don't want to take chances by leaving flammable stuff right on/next to it but just having it on for your babies will be totally fine.

Back
Top Bottom