Need to acclimate one of my birds.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Creed Bennett, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Creed Bennett

Creed Bennett Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Western Kentucky
    I have a chicken that I quarantined back before Thanksgiving. I found out what her problem was and she is getting better. I will be done with her treatment and she is due to go back out to the chicken house with her buddies this Friday. The problem is
    the weather. When I brought her into the house and put her in the cage it was dry and in the upper 60's during the day and upper 40's at night outside. She has been in this entire time at about 72 degrees. Now it's
    raining and the highs on Friday are supposed to be in the upper 40's and lows in the upper 30's. Do I just put her outside and not worry about it or what?

2. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    How about putting her out in a cage ... within the run or yard.. out with the other chickens (but in a cage) during the day... any time away from the flock can result in a new "pecking order" and adjustment. You can bring her in at night for a few days, maybe increase her time outside each day... over a week.. then, leave her out overnight. Chickens are very well insulated. But, you are right, it is what they get used to. Of course, she hasn't been inside that long.

I think go just a little slow... start a few hours during the day first.. . then, more daytime hours.. then, more.. then, more.. protected from the harsh weather, like in the center of the run, or inside the coop... use your judgement. Then, build up to overnight. If she is well and strong, she should be fine.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by