Need to board 3 chickens for a week

dlastra

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 11, 2015
Greetings,
I live in NE Colorado Springs. I have 3 hens: 2 are Rhode Island Reds and 1 is a Buff Orpington. They are about 2 1/2 yrs old and no longer laying but do like to roost most days. I am looking for a safe, clean environment that can board them for about a week. I will provide all food, dishes and shavings for my pets. Two are very docile and 1 is a little skittish but they are sweet and healthy. Can anyone help??

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

I don't know how affordable it may or may not be... but my vet offers boarding service including birds and other exotics. They are a small animal hospital. You might be able to check into that and they may be able to direct you elsewhere.

Another option might be craigslist or facebook. Or you might even try posting on your state thread to find people closer to you.

I also don't really have any friends, family, or neighbors who are able to help out if I need to go away. It may be one of my biggest challenges.

Good luck finding them a safe and comfortable environment. If you do find someone trustworthy, maybe you could have them house sit instead of moving your girls, which could be very stressful on them. But I know sometimes we need to do what we need to, and I'm sure they will adjust so I only mean it as a suggestion not to say what you are planning isn't good enough. My biggest concern would be possible illness if taken to another chicken home. And people without chickens seems like it would be harder to find someone. But I don't know... guess I'm just having a conversation.

When I did have someone... I lived in the city and predators were much issue so birds were never "locked" in. So they just came over later in the day to collect eggs and make sure water was topped up. Feeder was automatic.

Now my birds MUST be locked up every night and let out every morning. Plus I collect my feed and return it in the mornings to avoid free loading, pest and disease spreading rodents.

Good luck and best wishes! :fl

Back
Top Bottom