Need to buy a coop online ASAP

wytuka

Hatching
Mar 5, 2015
We had decided to buy a "Chicken Saloon" coop, but after the reviews I've seen, decided not to. We have 6 brahamas and plan to get about 10-12 more hens of various breeds. We live in West Texas and the only shade the coop will have is the house which will keep it out of the afternoon and evening sun. I've read and read on here, and I haven't found anything except to build our own, and it's not an option right now. I'm looking for the best coop for the best price. Quality and size is of upmost importance though. Thank you for any advice.

You may end up designing one and hiring someone to build it. I don't know of any pre-fab coops that are large and sturdy enough to house the number of birds you are looking at, and just the Brahmas by themselves can get pretty big.

You might also consider buying a shed at a big box home improvement store. For a fee, most of them will deliver and set up. The modifications are pretty easy and can be done in a single weekend - more openings for ventilaltion, the addition of a pop door, and some roosts and nest boxes. Nest boxes can be anything from milk crates to baskets and roosts nothing more than a 2x4 or two set flat side up.....

By the time you pay for an online order, shipping (although granted some place ship free) and then have to make modifications to the pre-fab to even get it to work, you'd probably be money ahead to just get a shed and alter it.

Best of luck with your chicken adventure! It's a lot of fun to have them.

We have a large shed at our new home already, we had just planned to use it for our rabbits and food storage. Maybe we need a second one. (Or figure out a solution to use it 1/2 and 1/2 :) Thank you for the suggestions. Certainly something to ponder.

I ordered my coop online. I searched garage sites. My coop cost $1500 and was flatbed trucked to me for free. It came from Ohio, so 1 state away. I live in the "thumb" of Michigan. So it came maybe, 600 miles away. I picked the company by ease of ordering online and how far away it was.

I had to have my Brother in Law here with equipment to get it off the truck and into my chicken yard. It took my husband, my brother in law and a neighbor to get it into place.

Thats all I can remember, its about 5 years old now. I am still very happy with it. It has electric and a vapor lock light in it also. I found a lot online that looked like it. Some were smaller and cheaper, some bigger and more.

Have you checked craigslist? Granted I am in the heart of Ag capital of the country, but there are all kinds posted nearly everyday. Anything from farmer's hand-me-downs that have been used to repurposed made to order (generally from palettes). If you know where to find them, the Amish also make gorgeous well built custom chicken coops.

Yeah I do love it. Its about 7yrs old now, I was thinking 5yrs, but this spring ( will it ever get here to Michigan??) it will be 7 years old. Still looks great. It wasn't cheap, but much cheaper then having my husband take a week off work to build it.

Like I posted above I just googled chicken coop builders online. I can't remember what I used in the search, but I do remember that the place I ordered from was a garage building site. With barns and garages. They had several size coops, I ordered the next to the largest one that they would ship.

Back
Top Bottom