Need to get rid of these roosters

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnmenard15

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 11, 2012
All ads must be in Buy Sell Trade, no exceptions!

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate to say it, but this time of year there is a large pool of excess roosters out there needing somewhere to go, and very few "pet" homes available. So you're going to have to weigh your need to rehome them as soon as possible with your need to make sure they do become part of a flock.

Personally I have no issue with one of my roosters becoming dinner for a buyer. At least he had a better life than the ones at the grocery store. Of course I hatch 300 chicks a year, and it's impossible to make sure each roo gets a home.

Sorry I'm not much help. Craigslist or a local SPCA would be your best bet. Is there a shelter near you that takes farm animals?

I hate to say it, but this time of year there is a large pool of excess roosters out there needing somewhere to go, and very few "pet" homes available. So you're going to have to weigh your need to rehome them as soon as possible with your need to make sure they do become part of a flock.

Personally I have no issue with one of my roosters becoming dinner for a buyer. At least he had a better life than the ones at the grocery store. Of course I hatch 300 chicks a year, and it's impossible to make sure each roo gets a home.

Sorry I'm not much help. Craigslist or a local SPCA would be your best bet. Is there a shelter near you that takes farm animals?

Good reply. Thousands of people got chicks last March and April and now wish to "re-home" the cockerels they've come to recognize among their birds. Finding pet homes for all of them, or flock homes will prove to be a tall order. Can it happen? Sure. Put them on Craigs, but those listings, in our area, simply go ignored. I do wish you the very best in your attempt.

Tell yourself they are going to a "good home", but simply do not ask. That would be the simplest thing to do. Don't ask what the takers intend for them.

Last edited:
I understand now what y'all are saying is true, Thanks for the responses! I just didn't want them to be killed instantly but I guess I scared them off on Craigslist by emphasizing the good home part haha. Thanks again, that is great advice btw!!!!

I live in the city, I have a lovely little boy rooster, not yet crowing. Im sad he must go but he must. I can not have them in the city and I knew when I hatched out the chicks some may be roosters. Im glad it was only one, but I still have to have give him up. He will be leaving in 2 weeks, and yes its sad, but if your going to have chickens, your going to take a chance your going to get roosters. unless you request only pullets, and even then you may get boys. Im sad for you, really I am, as sad for my self as I love this little guy. but I can not loose my flock over a crowing rooster.

You should have a site on Facebook to sell stuff it will be the first part of the town you live in then ville like brooksville or Roseville? Another place to advertise. Also make sure you add pictures! Very important people like to see how pretty they are. You could print off a good pic and tell about the Roo and make some flyers to post at your local feed stores, pet stores vets office. ( feed stores being the best) good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom