Roosters

Watch what's happening out there. How old are your birds? Cockerels and pullets are not the same as hens and cockerels, for example, or all adults. If one or more birds are being harassed or overmated, who's doing it, and who should leave? Most often, this is a situation where one male should be gone, but which one? Sometimes a female has poor feather quality, easily damaged, so not due to overmating.
Best to spend time observing your flock, and then make informed decisions.
Mary

Watch what's happening out there. How old are your birds? Cockerels and pullets are not the same as hens and cockerels, for example, or all adults. If one or more birds are being harassed or overmated, who's doing it, and who should leave? Most often, this is a situation where one male should be gone, but which one? Sometimes a female has poor feather quality, easily damaged, so not due to overmating.
Best to spend time observing your flock, and then make informed decisions.
Mary
my hens are all 3 years old. The 2 roosters are about 9 months they were hatched by one of my broody hens (I gave her fertilized eggs) Only one of my hens has a bald back. I’ve watched both roosters go after her at the same time. The other hens seem to fight back so to speak, I’ve seen them chasing the roosters. I’m not sure if that will change though. I would like to keep both but not if it’s too much for my girls. They all free range so it’s nice to have roosters as protectors.

my hens are all 3 years old. The 2 roosters are about 9 months they were hatched by one of my broody hens (I gave her fertilized eggs) Only one of my hens has a bald back. I’ve watched both roosters go after her at the same time. The other hens seem to fight back so to speak, I’ve seen them chasing the roosters. I’m not sure if that will change though. I would like to keep both but not if it’s too much for my girls. They all free range so it’s nice to have roosters as protectors.
Roosters do not really protect the flock. More accurately, they alert the flock if danger is near, and they may try to lead the flock to safety - either into the coop or under shelter such as a bush. Sometimes a rooster will attempt to fight off an attack but he generally loses his life in the process.

Back
Top Bottom