Need to know ASAP Please

luvchicks8

Songster
10 Years
Jul 1, 2009
new Hampshire
My muscovy ducks won't go in tonight they are insisting that they are going to sleep on my deck railing which is about 15 feet in the air but it is FREEZING OUT even spitting snow. Will they be ok or haw can I make them go in., when I try they fly down then right back up again???

They will probably be fine. I know their body temperature is high so they can tolerate lower temperatures.

Have you tried using treats to lure them in?

Quote:
I am in Massachusetts, and was just watching the weather and they said it was going to get below freezing temps tonight. I'm sure NH will be the same, if not colder depending on what part of NH and how far up you are. Good luck

I wouldn't worry about the chilly temps. Wild waterfowl do just fine in these conditions. I'd be more concerned about predators.

Can't you move them now that it's dark? Or are ducks able to see in the dark some (I just know chickens)?

Ducks can handle up to -20 degrees with wind protection. So a little freeze during the night is not hurting them. The still need to learn to go into the duck house for protection. Best is to control their feeding. Give them a bowl full of feed in the morning and the next evening bowl in the duck house. That way they learn to go in.

Temperature is not a problem. Vulnerabiity to predators is. Is there any possibility that a predator has been scaring them in their pen during the evening?

My 'scovies sit on the porch "rail" (mine WAS flower boxes till they started sitting in them!) they were not going to bed and we would just pick them right off the rail and walk them to their coop. now if we wait long enough like say 9pm they just go to bed by themselves. last night when we got home about 8:30 they were sitting there like they were waiting for us to get home. My husband and I brought of sleeping children in and went back out to put our duckie children to bed, and they then were in bed. I guess they figured we were home so they can go to bed. LOL! goofy birds!

We trained our ducks to go into their house by using treats. We would only give them treats inside the duck house. In a few days they were easy to get in the house very evening.
(cherry tomatoes cut in half were the favorite, followed by thawed frozen peas.)

Back
Top Bottom