Need to know whether to bring the babies back inside tonight

CityGirlintheCountry

Green Eggs and Hamlet
12 Years
Jul 7, 2007
Middle TN
I have 6 young silkies (ranging in age from 7-8 weeks). They have been in the house (temps 64-68) until today. I took them out to their new pen and they have been happily poking about all day. Temps today were in the mid 40s. Temps tonight are supposed to drop down to 25 degrees. Daytime high tomorrow is 39, with nighttime lows in the mid 20s again. The coop is a 2'x3'x30" box made of 3/4" plywood. There is no insulation and it sits on the ground. It has 2-3" of shavings in it. There is no heat lamp and no electricity near the coop. The 6 babies will be the only ones in this coop.

The question- Should I bring them back in the house tonight and back out tomorrow and so forth? Nighttime temps aren't really going to improve for a few months. Will it just mess up their systems to go from cold to hot to cold? I had planned on putting three milk jugs filled with hot water in the coop to work as a heat sink. DO we think this will keep them warm enough? I don't want little chicken popsicles. The other outside chickens are fine, but they've had time to get acclimated.

Last edited:
I prefer to use a heat lamp with youngsters this age in those kinds of temps. I don't know if they can handle it, but I don't want to find out the hard way either. Rather be safe than sorry.

Do you have an unheated garage or shed or something where you could put the coop (since it's small)??? That way they could more gradually get use to colder temps, rather than be forced to go through a 40 degree night time temp. jump so suddenly...

Bring those babies in!!! I had some chickens (2 silkies and an oegb) who spent the night in my basement and came outside during the day in the winter. They seemed to do okay with this arrangement but they were about 6 months old. As someone said, "Better safe than sorry" especially if they're cute, little, fluffy silkies!!!!
smile.png

Use a heat lamp or bring them in. It has been in the 30's at night here in Louisiana and I have a bunch of babies and they have been outside with a heat lamp. I'm not taking any chances.

Thanks for the advice, y'all! I went ahead and moved them back into the house. They were still warm, but the night is young. They are currently happily chirping away in the dining room.
smile.png

Unfortunately I don't have a garage or basement. The house is pretty much it. My brooder lives in the dining room right in the middle of it all. They've reached the really messy stage and even for me they're kinda stinky. Maybe we'll just do days in the outdoor playpen and then move them in at night. Unfortunately, nights won't be getting any warmer, but hopefully they will eventually get big enough to handle it.
smile.png

Thanks again for the help!

I moved two of mine out the other day that are about the same age. Last night it dropped to about 20 and when we went to let them out this morning they seemed fine. As the day went they seemed to be misrable witout the warmth from the older hens so I moved them back into the brooder. I think the two girls are still to little to face these cold temps.

Mine spent a happy night in the indoor brooder and then I took them back out around lunchtime. When I went out a hour later they were shivering and huddled together. I packed them up and moved them back in. It was a lot colder today and they just weren't handling it very well. They are back in the house. That may just be the plan for the next little bit until this freak cold front moves on. When I went out the poor things sat in my lap and just sunggled in. They were so sweet!

Back
Top Bottom