Need to move newly hatched chick, when to do it?

Trish1974

Araucana enthusiast
5 Years
Mar 16, 2016
North Central IN
My Coop
My Coop
After placing 9 eggs under a broody hen (she's down to 7), I had 4 extras I put in the incubator. Two died somewhere along the line, leaving only 2 going in to lockdown. Today is hatch day for both. So far the mother hen has hatched 4 that I know of, and I have one just about hatched in the incubator. I have a strong feeling the other incubator egg isn't going to hatch. I don't want to brood a lone chick so I feel it is best to put the incubator chick out with the mother hen. I would like to do that tonight, but I know it won't be dried and fluffed by midnight. Is it okay to take the chick out while it's wet and let it dry under the hen overnight, or should I wait for it to dry and put it under her tomorrow night?

After placing 9 eggs under a broody hen (she's down to 7), I had 4 extras I put in the incubator. Two died somewhere along the line, leaving only 2 going in to lockdown. Today is hatch day for both. So far the mother hen has hatched 4 that I know of, and I have one just about hatched in the incubator. I have a strong feeling the other incubator egg isn't going to hatch. I don't want to brood a lone chick so I feel it is best to put the incubator chick out with the mother hen. I would like to do that tonight, but I know it won't be dried and fluffed by midnight. Is it okay to take the chick out while it's wet and let it dry under the hen overnight, or should I wait for it to dry and put it under her tomorrow night?

I would think by the time you go out around midnight the chick will be dry enough. If you are in a warm climate right now then you should be fine if she/he goes under momma

Thanks guys! I thought that too, but was concerned about taking it out of the incubator while it was still wet. It's just about out of the egg now...

Back
Top Bottom