Need to rehome a Barred Rock Hen (Ca. Bay Area)

mustangsaguaro

Songster
12 Years
Nov 30, 2007
San Martin, Ca
I have a very sweet barred rock hen I need to rehome. She needs to go to a rooster free home. I have 3 roosters and one of my roosters has a thing for her. However he badly attacked her about a month ago as she is a hen that won't allow roosters to breed her. She runs from them. She has recovered quite well. I do have the rooster that attacked her locked up right now. He's very nice w/ all the other hens w/ the exception of this barred rock.

Just to let you know this hen has not laid any eggs for me (so would consider her a non laying hen). When I got her she was about a year old (I'd say she's just over 2 now) and just a mess. The previous owner fed his chickens strictly dog food. When she came to me she was a mess her bottom was all beet red (I suspect from the toxic dog food she was getting). Just a she was starting to look nice and my rooster went and attacked her. She acts like she wants to lay but I haven't seen any eggs from her. Either she hasn't laid any or I just haven't found her hiding spot, as I live on 7 acres and I do allow my chickens to free range.

Again this hen MUST got to a ROOSTER FREE home.

If you are interested in her please email me at [email protected] as I don't check this forum to much.

Thanks
Kim

Quote:
After a year the redness has gone away. I am thinking she was so toxic from the dog food only she was getting she finally after a year detoxed it out of her system. Because her bum is fine now.

Can you define the "bum" for me? Usually the yolks are not reabsorbed...they just sit in the abdomen cavity. Plus, with her not laying and all, it just sounds very similar to internal laying in hens.

Dog food really shouldn't be that toxic? I feed cat food as a treat, but don't use it as a complete diet. Usually a lack in something will either outright kill the bird, or make them extremely light.

Back
Top Bottom