Need your help with this chicken. is this respiratory disease? * includes video*

no, got these new birds from an intermediary person, who bought these birds for me somewhere in an exposition. no way I can contact them.

I have 3 older chickens which are separated by a fence but I already let them go together to establish the pecking order even though they sleep in different coops for now. but they are only separated by a fence. this chicken is now in a dog crate in my garage.

I bought 10 birds, this sick one among the others.

I do not think I can do that, insert it all the way down, I am afraid I might hurt her.

will keep giving small doses with the seringe. she did that with the neck when I held her in my lap, I massaged (lightly) her neck without positive results also.
Right, I would worry about putting the syringe in like that right now too. Do the best you can getting little drops of fluid at a time into her. I know it must be frustrating, but you are doing what you can for her.

It is possible that your hen picked up this disease at the sale, being around other birds in pens. Things like viruses are very infectious, and it possible that the bird was not sick from the orignal owner at all. Many of the common respiratory diseases may take 2 days as in coryza, up to 5-10 days in other diseases such as MG, ILT, and some other viruses to cause symptoms. Here is a good list of common diseases to read about symptoms:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Phoned a veterinary and when he saw the chicken he said that it really is not in a good shape and I should ready myself for the worse.

but, he said we could still fight it and already gave her 2 injections in her chest (two fingers above center of legs, one in each side of the bone. this treatment is a general purpose treatment that will also help her breathe better and will help her lungs. immediate isolation was recommended but we already know about this.

I am supposed to carry out the treatment for 3 more days, see if it improves or not so we decide if we stop or carry on with the treatment.

one thing I noticed is that she does not make the sound anymore when trying to breathe like in the video. she still does the same thing with the neck though (stretching it to inhale, other way around to let air out). and when I parked the car, I heard it well, when she is letting the air out of the lungs, it is like a cat making the rom rom thing.

lets hope she recovers.

She does seem to be doing better!
I would see if I could get some fluids into her since her she is not gasping so much. Try dipping her beak in a little sugar water, see if she likes that.

I'm glad that you were able to seek vet care. Do you happen to know the name of the medication the vet gave you to inject? Just curious since it seems to really be helping.

That is amazing. I really thought that she would be gone by now. So glad that you got medicine. Yes, we are always curious about what medicines are used in other countries. Try some very wet chicken feed with water in a very small bowl to see if she will take it, or some cooked egg. Best wishes that she will recover.

as soon as I grabbed her she started breathing heavily again. and I was not able to make her eat the ration with water or to drink water with sugar.

Back
Top Bottom