Need your help with this chicken. is this respiratory disease? * includes video*

Pics

cmaranhao

Chirping
Jun 28, 2018
Portugal
video below.

bought some chickens a week ago, from time to time I heard what sounded like a sneeze or cough but was not able to figure out which chicken did it.

Today I found this one like this, already isolated it from the others. the coop is well ventilated and it has wood shavings on it, 1 week old.

From time to time she waggles her head very fast left and right and makes higher pitch noises.

I read that it if chicken inhale dust it can do them harm. one day, with them all eating furiously, one of them was eating from the ground and there was feed (like powder) dropping on top of another from a feedder a bit higher than this chicken. do you think this can cause this problem?

I have already tried to give her water mixed with apple cider vinegar and terramicina (do not know the english name but this is can used for respiratory diseases in chickens).

any help?

Last edited:
Poor thing. She is really gasping badly. Is there any vet available to see her? Certain diseases, such Newcastles, ILT, or gapeworm might be a problem. She looks to be in such distress breathing, that I am afraid that she won’t be able to drink the medicated water or eat. She really needs to drink.

How much of the Terramycin (oxytetracycline) are you mixing in the water? I would be tempted to see a vet, or get an injectable antibiotic for her, plus fenbendazole (Panacur, SafeGuard) and worm her for 5 consecutive days. What worm medicines are available for cattle, goats, and horses where you are located? I can help with wormer dosage if I can see the product.

I agree, she is not doing well, I'm sorry that she's sick.
Since she is having so much trouble breathing, I agree and injectable antibiotic would be better since I think it would be hard to administer orally without her aspirating.

It looks like she has swelling in one eye - is there any pus?
If you have vet care that would be good.

I just gave another dose of water mixed with vinegar and terramicina with a seringe. at one point she layed her neck in her back and was looking back. never seen this behaviour.

also, I am giving a few drops of liquid each time she opens her beak but I am not seeing the movement they usually do when drinking (open close open close beak). do you think this is just going down? is it going to the correct place or am I drowning her lungs?

She would be gagging if you were drowning her, I would just be careful when dripping water or medication into her but she's got to get hydrated somehow.

I'll link you to a thread that has photos/video of how to give oral medication showing the correct places to put your syringe , but...since she is in such distress I don't think I would try to hold her at this time. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

Is her neck becoming fixed in that position? I hope she is not having twisted or wry neck. That could be another serious symptom of Virulent Newcastles. Have you heard of any Newcastles disease in your area? I would just put a drop into her beak at a time, and let her swallow. The safest is to offer the liquid from a spoon where she can take it herself.

The Verm X unfortunately is more of an herbal preventative, but will not treat gapeworms, one of the more rare worms in chickens.

Last edited:
I do not think I can do that, insert it all the way down, I am afraid I might hurt her.

will keep giving small doses with the seringe. she did that with the neck when I held her in my lap, I massaged (lightly) her neck without positive results also.

Back
Top Bottom