Need your help

CapoBro

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 20, 2013
Kansas
Fellow backyard chicken raisers, I need some help. Before yesterday my chicks were all happy, energetic and seemed comfortable with temp in the brooder. Last night I had one go down with pasty butt and get attacked. I tried to help it but wasn't much I could do.

This morning I treated one for pasty but she is moving slow and blows up bubbles after she drinks. I put some sugar water in their drink as suggested by a member through another thread. about 20 minutes later my two remaining sussex started acting strange; hobbling around and one stretched its neck all the way back and flopped over. What has happened in the last 24 hours? Why are the sussex affected and not the other chicks? What can I do to help them?

The sugar is only for some energy and to make sure they come back for more water. I only give it for the first day and not enough to actually make it sweet.
If it is only the sussex then perhaps they weren't very healthy to begin with.
Pasty butt is sometimes from the birds being too hot. Do they have a way to get away from the heat source or are you heating the entire space to a specific temperature.

I'm only heating one end of the brooder. 2' x4' for 7 chicks. I gave them the sugar water for the one visit to the waterer this morning then I changed it out for plain water. The one sussex that "seized up" moves around okay but is also sleeping a lot. The other sussex falls on its beak every time it tries to walk. My pasty butt dominique got up and moved to the waterer but still blew bubbles after it drank.

Thanks for you help. The Sussex have bounce back and are busy playing with the rest of their sisters. The Dominique is another story. She has gone downhill and I'm not holding out much hope. I have her separated so she doesn't get pecked. When I move her to the water, she won't drink. Her head droops and she peeps like she is hurting. So I may have one more casualty, but I think for the sake of the rest of them, I've staved off the battle with pasty butt.

My dominique, which I feared would die has made a remarkable recovery. she poops now and is drinking and eating and walking. She doesn't quite stand erect yet so I'm keeping an I on her, but I at least have hope that she will actually pull through! Lesson to new chick owner; don't give up and be patient with the sicky chicky.

Back
Top Bottom