Needing Help With Necropsy GRAPHIC!

KsKingBee

Free Ranging
10 Years
Sep 29, 2013
The Scenic Flint Hills of Kansas
I had a hen die yesterday and I opened her up to see what killed her and to get a sample for a fecal exam. I documented what I saw but unfortunately, I don't know what I am looking at other than a hard lesion on the kidney. She had good pink muscle tissue although she had lost a little weight.
IMG_1322.JPG
There appears to be a lot of yellow fat and an absence of eggs.

IMG_1323.JPG

The lesion went through the kidney to the other side.

IMG_1327.JPG

There were large and hard lumps in the intestine.

IMG_1331.JPG

The first one I opened up to find a hard infection.
IMG_1332.JPG

IMG_1333.JPG

The next one I found a capsule of hard green something.

IMG_1335.JPG

In the next I found empty.

IMG_1337.JPG

Then there was this.

IMG_1336.JPG

The gizzard was full of green fibrous material and grit.

IMG_1338.JPG

IMG_1340.JPG

IMG_1341.JPG

The empty cavity showing where the oviduct is.

IMG_1343.JPG

I found no roundworms and will report the findings of the fecal exam in a bit after I finish running it.

The gizzard looks normal for a bird that has been eating vegetation. I don't think you really need to perform a fecal exam.
Those nodular lesions are either abscesses from a systemic infection (E.coli causing Colibacillosis) or necrotic tumors from Marek's disease. Marek's disease can affect peafowl. It is a viral disease that causes tumors throughout the organs. In chickens it often targets the sciatic nerve, resulting in the common name of "range paralysis".
Here's a link to a scientific paper describing visceral (involving the organs) Marek's disease in peafowl. Although it's written in medical-ese, it does have a few photos:
http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S0102-09352016000601602&script=sci_arttext

I am very sorry for your loss.

https://ucdavis.pure.elsevier.com/e...oniasis-in-the-bursa-of-fabricius-of-chickens
"Abstract
Histomoniasis was diagnosed in a flock of 6-wk-old commercial chickens. Clinical signs included depression, stilted gait, inappetence, and a slight increase in mortality. At necropsy, there were pale-yellow to dark-gray circular and depressed necrotic lesions in the liver. The ceca were enlarged and impacted with caseous cores. Cecal worms were not observed either at necropsy or on histopathology. Histomonads were demonstrated microscopically within the bursa of Fabricius in addition to the liver, ceca, and spleen. This is the first report of the presence of histomonads in the bursa of Fabricius in commercial chickens.

Original language English (US)
Pages (from-to) 711-715
Number of pages 5
Journal Avian Diseases
Volume 48
Issue number 3
State Published - Sep 2004 "

This is an amazing thread! Thank you to all who have posted here!!

4-5 years ago, I had an issue with blackhead in turkey poults. I chalked it up to inexperience and drastically changed how I raised any chicks, poults, or peachicks after that. It's very helpful to be reminded though that even with a good worming program and good quarantining practices that these illnesses still can show up. It's so easy to get complacent when things are going well.

Thank you again!!

@bargain, your post will take some time to answer, thank you. I will answer back later today when my company leaves.
No need to reply, I think I was just trying to think of any and everything. Looks like you have super consultation here from folks (not patting my back but others) I will follow this to learn for myself as well. There is a good brief two page article from your area on blackhead disease. We never medicated our poultry against blackhead as the occurrences in our farming community were 0% when we had turkeys and the one visiting peafowl. Preventing Blackhead Disease by Kansas State Resource staff. Please be kind to yourself. Apparently blackhead is fairly indemic to your state after I read the preface to the article. If you find it is blackhead, it could be as simple as chicken who carry blackhead could have been around and about the area where your turkeys are. PS Please be careful of both your eyes and lungs when working around the birds. Eye masks are recommended as well as face masks. Inhaling or direct eye exposure can be problematic for humans! I have "bad lungs" and "eyes" and both docs have been on the alert for zoonological diseases and I was tested negative for histoplasmosis, but found I had another zoonological disease. Wishing all the best and praying for your poultry and your peace of mind and you as well! https://www.bookstore.ksre.ksu.edu/pubs/EP69.pdf

Last edited:
No need to reply, I think I was just trying to think of any and everything. Looks like you have super consultation here from folks (not patting my back but others) I will follow this to learn for myself as well. There is a good brief two page article from your area on blackhead disease. We never medicated our poultry against blackhead as the occurrences in our farming community were 0% when we had turkeys and the one visiting peafowl. Preventing Blackhead Disease by Kansas State Resource staff. Please be kind to yourself. Apparently blackhead is fairly indemic to your state after I read the preface to the article. If you find it is blackhead, it could be as simple as chicken who carry blackhead could have been around and about the area where your turkeys are. PS Please be careful of both your eyes and lungs when working around the birds. Eye masks are recommended as well as face masks. Inhaling or direct eye exposure can be problematic for humans! I have "bad lungs" and "eyes" and both docs have been on the alert for zoonological diseases and I was tested negative for histoplasmosis, but found I had another zoonological disease. Wishing all the best and praying for your poultry and your peace of mind and you as well! https://www.bookstore.ksre.ksu.edu/pubs/EP69.pdf

You had given me a lot of good leads in your post and I wanted to give them all due consideration, I just got too tired last night. I am on my way to read the link you provided, thank you for that. I did have a couple cases of BH here but not for the last two years. I have been doing a much better job of controlling worms and in this case cecal so I just haven't had a case until possible now. It does make sense that my worming killed the carriers leaving the protozoa to continue attacking the host.

Agree gizzard looks normal. Amount of Yellow seems fine. There is a white spot on the liver if this is roughly 2 cm ...also Looks like one egg beginning to form. Was she born on your farm or brought in as adult/youngster? How did the lungs look? Was there any ascites in legs for the bird? Can you contact prior owner to see if anything has been going on with their flocks or area? How old is the bird? Has her egg production declined? Usually you will see more than just one egg "waiting" in birds, unless very beginning or ending of laying cycle. Any change in color of her fecal output? Acute fowl typhoid will have a whitish lesion on the liver about the size of what you photoed. Is the spleen larger than normal sized, if yes, it could also be an indicator of fowl typhoid. Any other fowl with these symptoms? Is your area where you might have wild turkey or other birds coming over or near or beside your flocks? If your animals free range, they may have come in contact with "dirty water" . They can also transmit to other birds directly through a process known as cloacal drinking, not just worms etc. Turkeys and peafowl are very susceptible to blackhead. And please remember that "blackhead" doesn't mean that the peafowl's head turns black. That is not always the case. I don't know the time frame since the beginning of the necropsy, but you may want to check to see if you need a formal necropsy through a vet or your State Poultry Lab. I've only had one peafowl, and unfortunately he was run over but we've had years of turkey experience, though we are certainly not experts. I am glad you are doing a necropsy and look forward to other comments. ALSO, you may want to contact your local County agent to ask what the incident rate of Blackhead is for your area as well as any other reported issues in your county/state. This will help you understand if it is endemic to your area. You may wish to search in main forum for necropsy help as well! I believe there is a how to necropsy post I have seen here. Hope this was helpful. And until you have "piece of mind" . You may wish to isolate or keep close watch on your birds who have had contact with this peafowl, as well as look around to see if there are any places where there is standing water, or perhaps even moldy compost etc. Blessings.

The gizzard looks normal for a bird that has been eating vegetation. I don't think you really need to perform a fecal exam.
Those nodular lesions are either abscesses from a systemic infection (E.coli causing Colibacillosis) or necrotic tumors from Marek's disease. Marek's disease can affect peafowl. It is a viral disease that causes tumors throughout the organs. In chickens it often targets the sciatic nerve, resulting in the common name of "range paralysis".
Here's a link to a scientific paper describing visceral (involving the organs) Marek's disease in peafowl. Although it's written in medical-ese, it does have a few photos:
http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S0102-09352016000601602&script=sci_arttext

I am very sorry for your loss.

Thanks Doc for the reply. I just completed the fecal and found no cocci or worm eggs present.

I got this three-year-old hen just prior to the breeding season, she and four other hens were bought at auction. They were quarantined and dewormed as soon as they arrived here. The other hens are all acting normal as this one was up until a few days ago. I noticed that she had started sleeping on the ground two days ago and when I fed yesterday I was able to catch and examine her for a stuck egg with ease. She died later that day. This pen of birds has clean water available and the wife has been feeding weeds and lettuce that she pulls from the garden, I saw no grain in the gizzard.

I will monitor the other hens that came with her, thank you for the reply and the link.

Back
Top Bottom