Neglected Pup: Angry Update!

FeatherLace

Chirping
Apr 7, 2020
Waycross, Georgia
So for those of you who hadn't seen my thread on a pup that we kind of rescued from a neighbor, here the link to it. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/neglected-pup.1377493/

So update, last Tuesday I brought her in the get fixed and get all of her shots. She is in my name and the vet records say so.

Vet gave me strict instructions to keep her inside and only walk her on a leash for at the very least a week. So I bring her home, give her all of her medications, feed her, walk her, and overall care for her. The total vet bill for that visit was $193. Not to mention that in the past I have dewormed her and flea dipped her at my own expense. They had nothing to do with it.
This weekend I had to go out of town, and my neighbor suddenly came forward and asked for the vet record and shed pay us back half. On top of that she'd care for her for the weekend while I went out of town. I thought she was finally gonna step up and take responsibility. She came over to my house and gave us $100 but then took the vet records AND rabies tag for herself, and refused to give them back because its "her dog".
I didn't really say much more from that because I thought they might be trying to take responsibility, but I went to leave Saturday and who did I see outside without a collar or someone to walk her with a fresh surgery wound in her belly?
Bear. I promptly texted her "owner" and told her exactly this. "Hey if you're home then Bear is NOT supposed to be out and active on her own, not because of pain but because she risks infection and tearing it open. And if you're not home let your mom know to please let her inside." To which her response was "Look you helped us with her but we can take care of her now. I've talked to the vet tech amd she said she's okay outside for a little while. She's been inside since Tuesday."
Normally this would be okay with a dog, but this particular dog doesn't care if she's in pain, she still likes chasing cars, taking off into the woods, swimming in random creeks and mud puddles, and rolling in whatever dead thing she comes upon. These are KEY components to her becoming infected or tearing back open. Her belly is still red and healing.
Another thing, when I mentioned to her that the vet recommended we get "her" dog on flea protection, she promptly declined.

Now I'm at a loss. I'm thinking of bringing her to a no-kill shelter and letting the neighbor think she ran off, because if we take her in our home then the neighbor will clearly try and claim the dog again even though she still refuses to get her on a $15 flea pill or even feed her most days. The vet bills are in my name, and I have bought her EVERYTHING else she's had. All of her beds, toys, flea collars, harnesses, food, flea shampoo, and dewormer, and ive given her all of her baths and everything else she's needed. There's no one else I know who can take her in

Any advice?

In this case time may be on your side. They will let their guard down and go back to their negligent ways before long.

I think you can request a duplicate/replacement rabies tag in the event one is lost or stolen.

I guess one option would be to take them to court over ownership. I'm not entirely sure how that would go, but I would think that if you provided evidence of the care you've been giving her (along with the money spent on her care and the tags/documents all in your name) it would go in your favor.

Just be prepared to have ever lasting bad blood between you and the neighbor if you go that route.

I read all of your first thread. I'm sorry you're going through this.

Is there any possibility of a reasonable discussion with the lady? If you kindly mention that she seems overwhelmed with the extra dog, that you can take it in and assume its care, and offer her visiting rights or something? If you word it like you're doing her a favor, would she open to the offer? I know you already spent money on this dog, but since it sounds like she doesn't care, and you do, can you offer the $100 back to buy her outright since all this dog is to this lady is an object...?

Happened the same way in my case with a cat. The neighbors refused to care for him and when I took him to the vet they got angry. They also told me not to let him come over to my house anymore but they won’t keep him inside?😤 I took the cat to a no kill shelter and when they asked me what happened/ if they saw their cat I said I had no idea....

Back
Top Bottom