Neighbor asked to conjoin coop...

I don't care about being his friend he's 30 years older than me. He has several children (around age 20) that are capable to build him a coop. He's one of them rich snobs. If it was one bird, and it just needed temp. houseing (and I knew where it came from) it MIGHT be different. I clean my coop every week since I'd hate to walk through chicken poop every day (it's easier to miss if it's only a few days worth) I mix up the straw after aboutt 2-3 days and it works well.

Turn the guy on to BackYardChickens where he can learn all he needs to know about raising his own flock, building a coop, etc...
I think the guy was nuts for asking you to take on his chicks but I'm sure he is just clueless. I don't think anyone would get a few puppies and ask you to keep them in your yard just because you have dogs!?! It is totally up to him to care and protect and clean up after not to mention how you would keep track of eggs and feed.

Wow, and I thought my neighbors were stupid for asking us if they could play in our yard...

if his chicks are younger than yours, then put them in with yours and let him watch his chickens get their butts kicked, problem solved
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I wouldn't do it, either. No way, no how. In fact, I think it's a pretty crazy suggestion. You are absolutely right to refuse him, for the safety of your birds. Try to explain biosecurity to him. This is something he needs to know, for the safety of his birds. Poor birds! I can't imagine someone getting chickens without planning for how to house them!

sounds to me like someone wants "free eggs" - without the expense, trouble, time or care of having to get there
roll.png

He has a yard - he can afford to purchase chickens = build a coop in said yard and house said chickens!

If its eggs he wants - then tell him you can provide him with organic eggs... for $4.50 a dozen!
big_smile.png

I agree with the others - NOPE! Headache waiting to happen.

Back
Top Bottom