Neighbor Claims my chickens have given her husband Histoplasmosis

...Record her (audio) with a cell phone in your pocket upside down, all conversations. You will soon have enough for a harassment lawsuit and can probably do it for little or nothing in a small claims court. Easy enough to have her served with a restraining order and no trespass. Not sure where you are but it can be done here.

Psst... just FYI...your state is a “two party consent” state... so I think you have to tell the other party you’re recording them for it to be legal ...

... the OPs state is “one party consent” ... so i think it’d be legal there ...

...note my law degree came in a box of Honeycomb cereal 30 years ago... so grain of salt ... etc

That sounds horrible! I hope it doesn’t escalate to that degree. I’m going to try to be pleasant but I’m doing my research. We are going away this weekend and I fear she’ll call someone before we get our ducks in a row and my pet sitter will have to deal with it:/

I’m ordering cameras for my backyard, didn’t think we needed them but now I feel we should.

Most neighbor issues don't escalate much anyway. Neighbors dislike each other, grumble, etc. But don't go really any further than that as no-one really wants to spend that much time and energy on stupid neighbor stuff, let alone going the formal legal route for minor stuff. Of course, sometimes there really are issues that need to be followed through and sometimes issues are created...a little like *might* be happening here. However, you are correct to keep it mild and pleasant. Any questions she may ask only answer with the fewest and least informative words so that there is nothing else to be gotten from the conversation. Cameras are good. Chicken sitter should not reply or respond to anything, but should text you updates!

Another story: My older mom lives on a street with about 15 other homes, and she has lived there 10+ years. She had some really good/helpful/friendly neighbors across the street. They were married, employed, had a few kids, busy and nice family and would invite my mom over for dinner sometimes, would help her out sometimes with minor tasks (change lightbulb too high for her, etc). Husband comes down with Bells palsy - this will resolve itself and is not life-threatening, just somewhat inconvenient. His case was mild - and he was not impacted by any lasting effects. I was visiting my mom (I live in another state) and neighbor wife comes over to chat, say Hi, etc. I've met her before - she is friendly, active, helpful. I just mentioned that my mom had a very mild case of shingles a few months prior and was glad it was mild and she was all better - I was just chatting as I figured she knew that my mom had the shingles. All of a sudden this neighbor (who I've indicated is nice, friendly, helpful, and not unbalanced) literally says "I wonder if her shingles is why my husband got Bells palsy?" (or similar statement) She actually rushed off right after this and I immediately went in to let my mom know what happened. NOW she (my mom) reprimands me that she never told neighbor of her shingles bc it was mild and neighbor didn't need to know (just a thought: my mom could have told me this first, don't ya think?). In the end, nothing came of it as shingles and Bells palsy do not interact/cause/worsen each other, BUT neighbor did interrogate my mom and did investigate this avenue (but did nothing as there was no basis and maybe would not have done anything - who knows). Should mention that as nice, helpful, etc those neighbors were - they are the type of people (particularly the wife) always focused on money and how to get more. They are quite well off, so not in need of money - they just really like to have as much as they can. In the end - my mom is still friends with these people, they have moved a couple miles away, but are still helpful and friendly. You really never know what someone's motivation is and to what extent they will go to achieve the goal they have.

I actually was diagnosed with histoplasmosis when i was in my late 20's.
I did not even know i was sick, thats how not bad it was. The scar tisue was found on a routine chest xray.
Even though we have had chickens here on the farm my entire life. My doctor thought it was more than likely contracted from the bats and bat guano that liked to summer in our huge old farm barn.
Alot of leople get it and never know it. Some have mild flu like symptoms. Its a fungas and is prevelent in humid areas. I dident even have a runny nose.
I still have chickens and clean my coop on a regular basis. Sit out in my coop for hours and love every minute of it. I am not worried.
I am sorry your neighbor is such a stupid waco. She may think she is defending and protecting her husband. some people there is just no reasoning with.
Your chickens are not a threat to her or her husband or your neighborhood.
I

IMO I wouldn't engage this woman at all. Don't even talk to her.

-Write down everything weird that she does with date & time.

-Make sure your cameras are not recording her property & put a 'smile you're on camera' sign in your yard.

-If she comes on your property again tell her that you are calling the police & reporting her for harassment.

-Don't volunteer any fungal info to the other neighbors. Smile at them, wave, be friendly. They will see that you are nice & the other lady is crazy.

-Lock all chicken doors.

Good luck this weekend. :fl

Back
Top Bottom