Neighbor complained and I got a notice to get rid of my chickens. Grand Prairie TX

UrbanDryad

Chirping
5 Years
May 30, 2014
I have a movable coop. I've had my birds for a solid month. I moved the coop near her fence about a week ago so they would kill the grass in the mulched area there around my kids' trampoline. Her dog started barking at my fence this morning at 9 am....so she did what any normal person would and climbed a ladder to look in my yard. Then she immediately called the city to report it. I came home to a notice on my door that I have until 6/6/14 to get rid of them since I don't meet the space requirement.

The ordinance here says you can have them as long as they aren't within 150 ft of any residential structure (aside from your own.) That would be impossible in at least 80% of the yards in the city. I've read on another post here that the city of Grand Prairie is voting to change that distance to 50 ft on 6/5/14. With any luck the vote carries and I'll be in the clear. (If anyone knows more please let me know!)

When I saw the notice I went around to all my neighbors and asked if they'd noticed I had chickens. The one that did it lied at first but came over later to say she did....mainly so she could yell at me for putting her in the position. I tried to explain that I would have been happy to accommodate her concerns if she'd only been considerate enough to ask me first. Alas. I moved the coop to the other side of my house to be nice even after all that.

So. Wish me luck on the vote! If you live in Grand Prairie turn out for the vote if you can. And if it doesn't go well I'll be looking to rehome 4 young birds. 2 are Rhode Island Reds (promised to be female) and 2 are Araucana (straight run. I was going to rehome either if they turned up rooster.)

Best of luck, and pull her assessor card to see if there's anything with no permit, CO, or unassessed improvement you can use to shut her up with. You'd be amazed how many additions, renovations, fences, pools and barns are put up outside proper legal channels.

I have a movable coop.  I've had my birds for a solid month.  I moved the coop near her fence about a week ago so they would kill the grass in the mulched area there around my kids' trampoline.  Her dog started barking at my fence this morning at 9 am....so she did what any normal person would and climbed a ladder to look in my yard.  Then she immediately called the city to report it.  I came home to a notice on my door that I have until 6/6/14 to get rid of them since I don't meet the space requirement.

The ordinance here says you can have them as long as they aren't within 150 ft of any residential structure (aside from your own.)  That would be impossible in at least 80% of the yards in the city.  I've read on another post here that the city of Grand Prairie is voting to change that distance to 50 ft on 6/5/14.   With any luck the vote carries and I'll be in the clear.  (If anyone knows more please let me know!)

When I saw the notice I went around to all my neighbors and asked if they'd noticed I had chickens.  The one that did it lied at first but came over later to say she did....mainly so she could yell at me for putting her in the position.  I tried to explain that I would have been happy to accommodate her concerns if she'd only been considerate enough to ask me first.  Alas.  I moved the coop to the other side of my house to be nice even after all that.

So.  Wish me luck on the vote!  If you live in Grand Prairie turn out for the vote if you can.  And if it doesn't go well I'll be looking to rehome 4 young birds.   2 are Rhode Island Reds (promised to be female)  and 2 are Araucana (straight run.  I was going to rehome either if they turned up rooster.)

Let me know how it goes!!

Last edited:
Welcome to the site.

I *really* hope everything works out for you. What a stupid and inconsiderate neighbour to just hop over the fence and trespass on your property. Did she tell you she actually went over your fence or did you catch it on camera or something? If you've got proof of that, I'd report that as that's just out of order. Don't suppose you can hop her over fence when her dog starts barking? Either way, I'd let the neighbours know she'll trespass on your property if her dog starts barking.
roll.png

Truly hope they vote in favour of decreasing the distance requirement.

Last edited:
I have a movable coop. I've had my birds for a solid month. I moved the coop near her fence about a week ago so they would kill the grass in the mulched area there around my kids' trampoline. Her dog started barking at my fence this morning at 9 am....so she did what any normal person would and climbed a ladder to look in my yard. Then she immediately called the city to report it. I came home to a notice on my door that I have until 6/6/14 to get rid of them since I don't meet the space requirement.

The ordinance here says you can have them as long as they aren't within 150 ft of any residential structure (aside from your own.) That would be impossible in at least 80% of the yards in the city. I've read on another post here that the city of Grand Prairie is voting to change that distance to 50 ft on 6/5/14. With any luck the vote carries and I'll be in the clear. (If anyone knows more please let me know!)

When I saw the notice I went around to all my neighbors and asked if they'd noticed I had chickens. The one that did it lied at first but came over later to say she did....mainly so she could yell at me for putting her in the position. I tried to explain that I would have been happy to accommodate her concerns if she'd only been considerate enough to ask me first. Alas. I moved the coop to the other side of my house to be nice even after all that.

So. Wish me luck on the vote! If you live in Grand Prairie turn out for the vote if you can. And if it doesn't go well I'll be looking to rehome 4 young birds. 2 are Rhode Island Reds (promised to be female) and 2 are Araucana (straight run. I was going to rehome either if they turned up rooster.)
Your neighbour sounds like a real piece of work!!! Some people are just a real pain. Sorry to hear you might loose your chooks, I hope you get that vote!!!

Back
Top Bottom