Neighbor dog not a preadator YET

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Lil Chickie Mama, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    I need advise on what you would do in this situation. My neighbors have 2 dogs- large breeds I think one is a german shepherd mix and the other is a mutt of some kind. So far they are just annoying and haven't done harm. They are being well fed (by owners) but aren't fenced in or watched. Every so often they are on our property and just looking for activity or attention. When I butchered roos a few days ago one got into the "parts" bucket (couldn't throw it away, no room in trash) but didn't go near my live chickens. I'm afraid it may just be a matter of time before they start to go after them though. Also, my dog is often on their property but I doubt they'd even see her (tiny little thing). I call her back when I notice but she likes to wander, she's just a chihuahua mix though so she can't do any harm. If scared she'd roll over and pee herself! We tried talking to them, but there is a language barrier, they don't speak English very well so we didn't get far. At what point do I have a right to call animal control? I don't even know if we have animal control in our area, but could I call them next time the dogs are here and see if they would do anything?

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    If you don't confine your own dog, you have no right to call Animal Control at all. They probably assume that since your dog can come into their yard, their dogs are welcome in yours.

If Animal Control were to show up, they may ticket you as well, if the neighbors tell them your dog runs loose.

I suggest putting up some kind of fence to protect your flock, keep their dogs out and your dog in.

As far as the language barrier- I speak Spanish now, but I sometimes lack the words- so I draw pictures and point! [​IMG]

3. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    Second reason to confine your little dog is to protect HER, as well. Two large dogs could gang up on her and she'd be dead in a second. Two large shepherd style dogs left to roam around your flock/property, unsupervised will eventually end up in disaster, well fed or not. Chickens are just FUN, they are like moving squeeky toys. Start planning now for some control over your situation.

4. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    Fences, fences, fences. Not to mention good gates.

Rufus

5. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    Get a super soaker squirt gun. Use it on them. They will get the picture quick, and you have'nt done anything inhumane or illegal.

6. toredano

toredano Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Grainger County,TN
    If you dont watch your dog and keep him/her confined then its the same issue for them. Doesnt matter if you have a rat sized dog.. yours roams just like theirs..
    Whats good enough for the goose. ya know?

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm sorry, I have to agree with the others. And trust me, a small dog can kill a chicken just as well as a large one. Fence your dog and then you can tell them to fence theirs. You just happen to have more to lose than they do.

8. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    I agree with everyone -- all real good advice.

I might add if you can pour fly bait or even just vinegar (or something else nobody wants to smell) on the dogs-- do several times and they might start keeping them up rather than have them out & coming back home needing a bath smelling up the place. [The fly bait is that yeast stuff, you order, it has a catalyst-- the most foul smelling stuff ever-- and HARMLESS to the dogs & you].

9. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:Agreed!

10. Holly O

Holly O Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Bergen Norway
    Quote:I was going to say something similar.

I wish people with little dogs would adhere to the same rules those with larger dogs do. Any dog can bite and it's still a bite. Be it from a small dog or a big one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by