NEIGHBOR DOGS KILLING CHICKENS:

I would NOT tell the neighbor that I now have a gun and will use it. The less they know about that, the better. What if another neighbor shoots her dog and she says you did it? Shhh. My advice is, in addition to all else you are doing and have been advised to do, go to a neighbor that you are friendly with and get them to teach you firearm safety and how to use it. A single shot .22 will manage your problem and be fairly safe, but you need to be comfortable with handling it. Then, practice, practice, practice. There are so many folks out there willing to help you learn! Swing by a rifle range on a Saturday morning and talk to the folks shooting, someone will help you and you'll have a new friend. BTW, i let a 10 year old shoot squirrels in my orchard (yes, he ate them) and now he's in his 30's and brings me venison--what goes around comes around.

if I read your first note correctly, you have already spoken to the neighbor.

Now it's time to go to the Sheriff's office, ask them what you should do *right now*. Waiting until you get photos of more of your animals being killed is not acceptable.
She has too many dogs unless she is a licensed breeder, and even then she has too many dogs.They should not be loose. Report that concern to the Sheriff and to Animal Control.

Meanwhile, running two lines of electric fence along your side of the fence would be fast, reasonable inexpensive and have an immediate impact. Your Gardener can probably do it in short order.
Getting a .22 and learning to use it might or might not be a good idea, but it would take serious time.
(I do not have a gun for some of the same reasons as you... but folks in my county certainly do. Guarantee you that if my dogs got into the neighbor's sheep or cattle, I'd never see the dog again nor would I hear about it.)

I'm not a big fan of shooting neighbors dogs......has been about 50 years since the last one. But, if you do decide to go that route, DO NOT try it with a .22. Lethal in the right hands........not so much if you don't know what you are doing. If you want to get someone fighting mad at you, send a gut shot wounded dog home to die under their porch about a day or so later.

A better weapon for that work is a shotgun. 12 gauge if you can handle it......20 gauge if not. And use #4 buckshot. That drops them dead in their tracks.

I had a friend that owned the offending dog once. They had to go to court. The dog had to wear a shock collar, not the mild kind, but one where if the owner pushed a button the dog would get zapped and collapse. The dog was deemed dangerous and a nuisance and further violations would result in animal control taking the dog and euthanization.

Shooting your neighbors dog will not likely fix things. There will be other dogs, as others have said, it's the owner not caring. Generally dogs are not allowed to roam "at large." File a complaint with animal control, the rest will follow.

Back
Top Bottom