neighbor extremely upset -- looking for solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I appreciate you trying to be neighborly, but she will need to be neighborly too.

Compromise if possible, but in the end it is her problem.

Unless your chickens are illegal, in which case you better kiss some serious patootie.

Quote:
Nor would I ! Some people feel that they are ' holier than thou ' and see it as your problem, not theirs. If you get along with them then do what you feel is right. If it were me, give them the pinky finger and not the middle finger and say " this is just a feather, because you are not worth the the whole bird ! " Thats my 2 cents.

There's a lot of good advice on how to handle this situation.

Just remember some people aren't chicken people and no matter how nice and accommodating you try to be, the peson may never be happy. As long as you are within the limits of the law, rest assured that there is nothing she can do about it. It could be she was having a bad day and took it out on you and your chickens.

My neighbor is still in a huff over my keeping chickens. I take comfort in knowing that I have such power over them that I ruin their day every morning when my rooster crows. (I'm zoned agriculture, I can even have cows, goats and pigs if I wanted, hehehe). Don't let her steal your sunshine.

Good Luck.

If it were me, give them the pinky finger and not the middle finger and say " this is just a feather, because you are not worth the the whole bird ! "

yuckyuck.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
I agree "IF" the OP is allowed to have chickens....if not and she wants to keep them I would try to figure out a way to keep the dog quiet.

Oh, geez!
th.gif

I could just see one of my neighbor's saying that to me. Actually, I can see me taking care of that problem right then and there. ....I would ask her to excuse me a minute and go in the house for a gun, come back outside and point the gun at the chickens and ask if she thought that would stop the problem. If she said yes, I would point the gun at her dog and say that there was the problem that needed to be removed. (I would never shoot her dog but visuals usually work best.)
And hence the reason why I do not have the neighbor's saying anything. They know me, they know my outlandish (though not illegal) behavior and they know if they dare to speak to me about something it had better be a very good reason or someone will have something serious to complain about.
I love the south!
I try to be peaceable but really, this is going too far. That person is a nutcase!
You have my sympathy. I am sorry you have a crazy neighbor!

Quote:
I have a neighbor like yours and the OP's combined....she hates my having chickens so I never kept a rooster and I keep the girls fenced in but one morning she yelled at a neighbors child for not standing still at the bus stop because it was making her dog bark to see the kids move,my 2 children were also there and the little girl who got scolded was only in 1st grade and is now to afraid to wait for the bus so her mom who doesn't want any trouble drives her in and me being the closest neighbor to Miss Nasty got a big ole Rooster!!! I am zoned agriculture as well and if she ever scolds my kids like that not only will I pay her a visit but I will volunteer with local rescue and foster some Donkeys and some loud goats and I will build a pen on our property line!! Some people can not be pleased.

Since your neighbor lets her dog run free, you should also be able to let your chickens run free.
Talk to your neighbor, tell her you'll call her when you are going to let the hens out so she can bring her dog in. Fair is fair.....if she can't control her dog, suggest watching the Ngeo channel and Cesar, the dog whisperer may have a few hints for her...lol...

A lot of good thoughts here, I like the cayenne pepper idea best! Get the giant plastic container from Costco or whatever. Dump it big time all along the base of the fence. Someone suggested telling the neighbour about it? I wouldn't, but that's up to you. Again, you're putting it on your side of the fence, that dog will start to avoid the area completely and problem will be solved. Birds don't react to cayenne, that's why it's in anti-squirrel bird seed mixes to keep squirrels away, so your chicks will be fine with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom