Neighbor is BIG TIME feeding the raccoons.

I could not agree with you more. I live in the middle of a federal wildlife refuge. I was here first, the feds "Bought" ( I say stole under eminent domain) our land and 30,000 other acres leaving us on a peninsula of private land in a wildlife refuge. People from the cities bring their nuisance squirrels out here and let them go. I am then forced to take care of the problem they moved to me.

I am pretty sure I get there other problem animals too.

I have thought about following one of the "dumpers" home to see where they live, then bring a bunch of "animals back to them, spread out a blanket and have a picnic in their backyard . Like they do in mine.

Oh and leave them a couple dozen beer cans.

Although our issue wasn't government born it does in some ways mirror the OP.. We live rural residential, sandwiched between two elderly couples on our own acre. I raise Goats, Chickens and Feeder Pigs. The elderly couple on the East side of us are nature buffs, although he hunted for years he has since hung up his gun, deciding instead that he loves nature to much to shoot it, they had taken to buying bulk seeds and feeding every darn bird that came to their yard and the squirrel family that resided, well, that squirrel family with easy access to food and not much in the way of natural predators decided to procreate like crazy, within a few years we were over ran between our three properties. The folks on the west side of us started shooting them when they were tree'd by the dog because every time the dog killed and ate one she got violently sick, we started shooting them because they took to planting their free Pea-nuts in everything including my garden, often times digging up my vegetables. One day while chatting over the fence our neighbors on the east side commented on the suddenly low numbers of squirrels, I was honest ( I had told them a few times they were becoming an issue) and told them what was happening, they were very upset but since then the squirrel problem has not been an issue.

Well there are a ton of reasons to not feed the wildlife. In CO, we have such a huge "pet" Elk problem in Estes Park that they were dying from disease, so the state had to "euthanize" something like 50,000 Elk! They are peoples pets over there and they cause traffic accidents and attract mountain lions etc...

Here's an example of what Colorado does..
http://cpw.state.co.us/learn/Pages/do-not-feed-wildlife.aspx

It is illegal to feed big game animals here.. Not sure about coons and critters like that. I'm guilty of feeding a baby possum this spring, so I'll knock that off ;)

Also, a bird out here called a Starling is a migratory invasive species.. Our east side neighbors love the stupid birds because they say they clean up the yard of fleas and such so they feed these birds like crazy.. A couple years ago I was losing my turkey poults like crazy to Cocci, they were in a secure separate run from the chickens and no sooner would I treat them and get over one bout of the disease then they would get it again. One evening the Hubs and I were out back and happened to be standing by the fence to their run along about dusk when we noticed the starlings coming in.. we stood there and watched these birds take up roost in the plum tree that was in the turkey run.. It didn't take long to put 2+2 together and realized where the source of the Cocci was coming from.. The next morning we got out and built another run and shelter for the turkeys, cut down the plum tree and it was a year before I used that area again. Although I no longer raise turkeys I haven't had another issue with the Cocci. , but we also use the stupid birds for target practice around here now

Please give me the link to that Federal Law. I need to educate myself. Also. .....THEN JUST PUT A BULLET IN ITS HEAD OR HIT IT WITH A HAMMER, doesn't really matter to me. I was just trying to be sensitive to the tree huggers and not suggest killing the creature at first.

Lol, we aren't intentionally harassing you Joe, sometimes the word "relocation" sends a fair percentage into "fight mode" on here; its a touchy subject ;)

I found this for you, it might help a little. It's a PDF, so I couldn't cut and paste for some dumb reason...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...pwHfhEkBd_Uzn908Q&sig2=Fhgk1PTuyVAxWXUVIhc2Fw

Oh, PS, there's a link in my signature all about relocation if you want to see just HOW "excited" some can get ;)

(And I'm sorry for saying it was a "horrible" idea... It wasn't horrible, just maybe the "less popular" decision lol)

Last edited:
I don't think there's a federal law against relocation of wildlife, but there are federal guidelines. https://www.aphis.usda.gov/publicat...table_version/fs_relocating_wildlife_2011.pdf Each state has their own laws governing the practice.

The consequences go far beyond spread of disease. You upset the population in the area where the nuisance animal is relocated, and consequences follow that no one could imagine.

The best way to deal with predators is good barriers, and a pulsing electric charge on a fence surrounding your facilities is one of the safest and best deterrents. It produces a harmless shock when you accidentally touch it. It does not normally electrocute. For most animals, though, the electrified barrier must be one the animal is required to come into contact with as opposed to being able to merely duck under, jump over, or jump in between strands, such as a four or five strand wire fence. Peanut butter on the wire invites the predator to inspect and they get a strong "message".

I only shoot and kill animals that are constant repeat nuisances. I have a very efficient "cleanup crew". Crows gladly consume the kills, remain in the area and chase off hawks, keeping that predator source down to a minimum threat.

Lol, we aren't intentionally harassing you Joe, sometimes the word "relocation" sends a fair percentage into "fight mode" on here; its a touchy

subject ;)

I found this for you, it might help a little. It's a PDF, so I

couldn't cut and paste for some dumb reason..

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...pwHfhEkBd_Uzn908Q&sig2=Fhgk1PTuyVAxWXUVIhc2Fw

Oh, PS, there's a link in my signature all about relocation if you want to see just HOW "excited" some can get ;)
)

No....he's the one quoting "federal law". Let's see it. Don't say it if you can't back it up. That's how bad info and rumors get started. Anyway.....already aware of everything you sent. The main thing I'm interested in is this "federal law" chicken george spoke of. I would like to see it so I can learn.

Oh and short grass. .......coons aren't considered a nuisance animal in MS and that's what that pdf was about. Thanks though.

Last edited:
Movement of most wildlife within a state is a function of local, not federal laws. Federal kicks in when crossing state lines, species protected or otherwise of federal concern (disease).

It is a violation of both State and Federal Law to trap and release a raccoon EXCEPT, in the same locator in which the raccoon was first trapped.

If you choose to ignore my words then don't expect me to send you a birthday cake with a file in it.

Movement of most wildlife within a state is a function of local, not federal laws. Federal kicks in when crossing state lines, species protected or otherwise of federal concern (disease).

Nope.....he said it was a violation of federal law to trap and release a raccoon. Come on Chicken George , .....I need to see that law so I can educate myself.

Back
Top Bottom