Neighbor mad about rooster...suggestions?

I completely agree with not getting rid of your baby just to satisfy a bad neighbor. I know it sounds a bit childish, but maybe you should play his game. I would print up the local zoning ordinances as well as the legal definition of harassment and mail it to him with a certified letter. I would also state in said letter that if the harassment continues, legal action will be taken. I am not an attorney but I do study up on laws just for the fun of it. Most people stop dead in their tracks when they realize that you're not to be trifled with. Please keep us posted and good luck.

Hi all

I am at a bit of a loss on what to do at this point. Our latest neighbors moved in about 4 years ago and they are NOT friendly 🤦
Our community is zoned agricultural and we can do whatever we want out here. Some neighbors have anything from diesel mechanic factories on their property to owning actual lions and kangaroos etc. Property varies but lots are at least an acre and a quarter(what we have) up to 100s of acres. The name farms is even in the community name.

Most recent neighbors have never been friendly. We try to be considerate neighbors. Heard the man cursing out our dog because he was barking (during the day outside)so I bought him a shock collar for barking and call him in if he barks or if I ever see them outside.

Fast forward to the pandemic. I finally convinced my husband to let me and the kids live our dream and get chickens. We put the coop up way back on our property (our lot is long and narrow) the furthest point from any neighbors as our back yard neighbors have the most property. We of course hatched some roosters and we rehomed all of them...5 to be exact. I let the kids hatch a few more eggs to help with the grief of rehoming all these babies and of course we got two more roos. These roos were so awesome though and we loved them.

My side neighbor of course started to complain...you know the neighborly way. Mumbling curse words at me when I would come in my gate. (this guy has never been friendly once) and then having his wife text me. So we rehomed the dominate rooster that did crow fairly loud. However, that left us with the one we really want to keep. He is so small and gorgeous. A frizzle blue bantam polish. His crow is so weak the girls won't even play with him 😂. He only crows during the day.

I came home to a letter in my mailbox today that says YOUR ROOSTER CROWS FROM 6AM TO6PM EVERY DAY. THIS IS GETTING RIDICULOUS. Then it was signed by him.

I don't want anyone to be miserable in their own house and I believe he works second shift and sleeps during the day. That being said we will most likely never again find a rooster that is so quiet (he does not crow non stop and I can't even hear him in my house which is frame while theirs is CBS). I also think that if we get rid of the rooster it is not going to change our relationship with them at all and he will just find something else to complain about. If their any neighborly dialogue I might think differently.

Again we try to be good neighbors. We cut down a big oak tree near their property line so they could grow a tree they planted as we saw the shade from our oak would kill it. We keep our yard tended always and I do the best I can with the noise. The chickens are in Omlet coops with autodoors so they are locked up sunset to a few hours past sunrise now that it is cooler. Work days they are in the run and on weekends we let them out to free range.

I am just wondering what you would do. Should I rehome him? So far I have just ignored the letter. Feeling really sad today.
This guy sounds like a real nut when you move to a place that allows agriculture of any kind expect to hear a bit of said agriculture’s natural sounds it’s his fault for not making sure he was gonna he living in a soundless paradise if he is annoyed by it sooooo terribly tell him to mind his own business and that you’ve tried to appease him and if you wanna take a nicer route you could try crowing collars as well there are worse things going on in the world than a little rooster making too much noise for your liking🙂

if she’s following all of her local laws, why should she do anything else to accommodate the neighbor?

Exactly.

A person who moves to an agricultural area and then complains about the agriculture is dead wrong.

I was saying i would move it to be more accomodating is all.

The OP has already been excessively accommodating almost to the point of being a doormat. Bullies only stop when you bloody their nose.

I never understood why people move to the country if they’re just gonna complain about it. Makes no sense to me.
It makes sense to me: they think they know what it will be like, but they are wrong.

(For an example going the other direction, just listen to the complaints of people who grew up in very rural areas: they are NOT happy when they discover things like HOAs!)

It makes sense to me: they think they know what it will be like, but they are wrong.

(For an example going the other direction, just listen to the complaints of people who grew up in very rural areas: they are NOT happy when they discover things like HOAs!)
Hmm that makes sense! But still. Surely they would expect roosters and farm animal noises moving to a farm animal area? I guess maybe not though. Idk. Hahah I never knew about HOAs until several years ago and I couldn’t believe some of the horror stories I’ve heard! And especially these new like mini farm type developments they’re making.

Surely they would expect roosters and farm animal noises moving to a farm animal area? I guess maybe not though. Idk.
If you only learn about farm animals from books and movies, you probably think that cows go "moo" at the right part of the story, the rooster crows one time when the sun comes up, and they spend the rest of their time looking picturesque in the field (quietly, with no droppings to smell, and no mud in sight.) :lau

If you only learn about farm animals from books and movies, you probably think that cows go "moo" at the right part of the story, the rooster crows one time when the sun comes up, and they spend the rest of their time looking picturesque in the field (quietly, with no droppings to smell, and no mud in sight.) :lau
:lau good point!

Back
Top Bottom