Neighborhood stray

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
For a couple weeks there's been this strange looking cat that keeps showing up in our backyard. It's doesn't seem interested in the food I've been leaving out front but is really interested in our flock. I know this as the dogs keep making a bunch of noise wanting to scare it off. The only thing I've been doing is running out there to shoo it away. The flock's yard has netting over top so that cat isn't getting in there at all. It's really been stressing our birds out, including our current layers.
I've asked around but nobody so far has claimed the cat. None of the other strays I feed even bother to go into our backyard. I can't catch the cat as the shelters around here are completely full and aren't taking in any more until the ones they have are adopted out.

Is there something I could put up around their area to make the cat leave them alone completely??

I agree. I have electric wires around my coops and pens and if anything touches it they won't touch it again. I think the predators here teach their young that a chicken is not worth getting zapped for. Good luck... Here is a foggy picture of a cat that touched the wires at my chick/grow-out coop. It was very foggy that night. I know it's hard to see. It hasn't been back. Good luck...

It's doesn't seem interested in the food I've been leaving out front but is really interested in our flock..... Is there something I could put up around their area to make the cat leave them alone completely??
Probably not a stray.
Stop trying to feed it?
I doubt a cat will do much damage to a chicken.....unless you've got tiny chicks on site.

Back
Top Bottom