Neighborly thing to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

NDChickenLady67

In the Brooder
May 11, 2023
Hello me again! My neighbor learned of my chicken love and as is the neighborly thing to do, took it upon themselves to drop off four new babies for me to add to my flock (as if I wasn’t already in enough trouble with the hubby😂) Anyways two of them are feather footers so we’re very easy to figure out breed and the other is a hen hatched barred rock. However, this little thing has me stumped. For reference it is 4 almost 5 weeks old and it is almost exactly half the size of my 5 1/2 week old Egyptian Fayoumi. So I’m obviously dealing with a smaller breed chick, possibly even a bantam, but not a clue which. They got them at the local TSC as a hatchery choice mix and didn’t look to see what the breed possibilities are so I’ve got nothing to go on. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Attachments

• 909D6988-1DA8-45C3-92DF-2BF538CD0A01.jpeg
    909D6988-1DA8-45C3-92DF-2BF538CD0A01.jpeg
    387.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 520C5F4E-D21D-46BD-83AD-4D559E687B50.jpeg
    520C5F4E-D21D-46BD-83AD-4D559E687B50.jpeg
    356.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 7F06C5FE-94CA-4426-873F-69F9C3764F1F.jpeg
    7F06C5FE-94CA-4426-873F-69F9C3764F1F.jpeg
    272.6 KB · Views: 19
Hello me again! My neighbor learned of my chicken love and as is the neighborly thing to do, took it upon themselves to drop off four new babies for me to add to my flock (as if I wasn’t already in enough trouble with the hubby😂) Anyways two of them are feather footers so we’re very easy to figure out breed and the other is a hen hatched barred rock. However, this little thing has me stumped. For reference it is 4 almost 5 weeks old and it is almost exactly half the size of my 5 1/2 week old Egyptian Fayoumi. So I’m obviously dealing with a smaller breed chick, possibly even a bantam, but not a clue which. They got them at the local TSC as a hatchery choice mix and didn’t look to see what the breed possibilities are so I’ve got nothing to go on. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
The feather markings are somewhat similar to my bielefelder but not quite the same. The thing that’s throwing me off are the head feathers. In the image they look sort of cream but they are white and that’s where it loses me.

He probably stole the eggs from a hawk and hatched them
he’s an almost 80 year old man that has been raising birds for 50+ years so doubt he’s stealing hawk eggs. It also does not have a hooked beak so very very unlikely that it would be a hawk. Plus the fact that other than those that he hatched out he buys his new birds from TSC every year and that’s where these came from as stated in the original post.

The feather markings are somewhat similar to my bielefelder but not quite the same. The thing that’s throwing me off are the head feathers. In the image they look sort of cream but they are white and that’s where it loses me.
Update: he said it could possibly be a hatched chick that was mixed in with the new purchased babies and therefore a possible mix of your pick between 6-7 breeds so I guess only time will tell🤷🏼‍♀️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom