Neighbors are feeding wild raccoons, now what.

Raccoons are obviously living in your area, and they like to eat a duck's esophagus, as well as ducklings and duck eggs. It really makes no difference if your neighbor feeds them or stops feeding them. They are there and probably were there long before you were, and probably will be there long after you are gone. You appear to be trying to blame the neighbor for your dead ducks, when you are the one not keeping them secure from all predators. Cat food or no cat food, they will try to get domestic birds. They are much easier to catch than wild birds.

P.S. I have never heard of a raccoon approaching humans for food and attacking the humans if they don't provide it. That's more of an alligator or bear story.

Raccoons are obviously living in your area, and they like to eat a duck's esophagus, as well as ducklings and duck eggs. It really makes no difference if your neighbor feeds them or stops feeding them. They are there and probably were there long before you were, and probably will be there long after you are gone. You appear to be trying to blame the neighbor for your dead ducks, when you are the one not keeping them secure from all predators. Cat food or no cat food, they will try to get domestic birds. They are much easier to catch than wild birds.

P.S. I have never heard of a raccoon approaching humans for food and attacking the humans if they don't provide it. That's more of an alligator or bear story.
My coop and runs 20 foot from my backdoor and I've never seen a raccoon here in spite of us keeping cat food out 24/7. We keep most of our cats up because there's lots of predators nearby (the cats are in most nights) I have lived places where the coons would peck on our storm door and beg for food but they never tried to attack any of us.

As stated in many areas it's illegal to feed wildlife. I'd call and report it. I'd also get traps and dispose of anything caught on your property. Hanging them up won't deter other coons and will only invite other vermin to feed on the carcass. If they are feeding coon you will most likely have a host of all kinds of animals coming up also.

id call your state DOW and see if you can shoot/trap them because they are damaging your livestock but probably the better idea is to just lock your ducks up better and add more security measures

have you ever thought of an automatic coop door?
we have a automatic door, it opens middle of the night though.

I've never looked into them super hard because they are out of my price range at the moment, but I'd go with a company that just sells coop doors and chicken stuff I definitely would not go on Amazon

Back
Top Bottom