Neighbors are feeding wild raccoons, now what.

My ducks do not have a pond.
If you use alternating hot and ground wires and a coon climbs the fence and touches a hot and a ground wire at the same time he'll get shocked. If you run all hot strands the coon has to be standing on the ground to be shocked by the fence. The illustration is an example of an alternating electric fence.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-01-29 at 22-10-58 fig1 jpg (WEBP Image, 597 × 429 pixels).png
    Screenshot 2022-01-29 at 22-10-58 fig1 jpg (WEBP Image, 597 × 429 pixels).png
    176.9 KB · Views: 5
If you use alternating hot and ground wires and a coon climbs the fence and touches a hot and a ground wire at the same time he'll get shocked. If you run all hot strands the coon has to be standing on the ground to be shocked by the fence. The illustration is an example of an alternating electric fence.
Ok! Thank you!!

When you dig thru the ordinances in these cities you'll find most of them require permission from the majority of your closest neighbors before you can have them.It sucks.
Yeah, that's going to stop a lot of people from getting chickens. This all actually goes back to post-WWII and the creation of the suburbs. The suburbs were the anti-thesis of the farm, and nothing is more symbolic of farm life than chickens. Many soldiers during WWII were "farm boys", who decided after the war that they weren't going back to the farm. There was the GI Bill to help get an education and suburban neighborhoods going up everywhere. Instead of planting crops, all that time and energy got devoted to planting grass and having perfect lawns. Chickens were not welcomed. Easter ducklings were, but then they would soon be dumped in ponds at parks.
We filed a Freedom of Information Act with our city to find out what their ordinances are here but we haven't gotten them yet. Their ordinances weren't available downtown and aren't posted online either. I was told if I want to know what a specific ordinance is just ask LOL
That way they can tell you what they want to tell you, and later deny they ever told you what they told you.😠

Yeah, that's going to stop a lot of people from getting chickens. This all actually goes back to post-WWII and the creation of the suburbs. The suburbs were the anti-thesis of the farm, and nothing is more symbolic of farm life than chickens. Many soldiers during WWII were "farm boys", who decided after the war that they weren't going back to the farm. There was the GI Bill to help get an education and suburban neighborhoods going up everywhere. Instead of planting crops, all that time and energy got devoted to planting grass and having perfect lawns. Chickens were not welcomed. Easter ducklings were, but then they would soon be dumped in ponds at parks.

That way they can tell you what they want to tell you, and later deny they ever told you what they told you.😠
As I know there may be an ordinance against wearing a pink shirt on Fridays.

My dumb a** bought an acre of land in adjoining county on someones "word" in City Hall that chickens were allowed. But after I dug and dug thru online documents I FINALLY found I have to get everyone who lives within 500 ft from me to agree to it.Oh and I also have to get the HUMANE SOCIETY to give me permission to keep my own 4 cats and dogs before they can live there. :lau

Ok! Thank you!!
You're welcome!I bought (2) 250 ft rolls of 17 gauge aluminum electric fence wire on Amazon for $5.00 each(first time purchase only)but I haven't installed the wire or hooked up the charger yet .It almost killed me building a predator proof coop out of hardware cloth and pallets this summer.I was too exhausted to hook the electric fence up by the time I was done.If anything gets thru what I've built its earned it.I still haven't recuperated.:lau

My dumb a** bought an acre of land in adjoining county on someones "word" in City Hall that chickens were allowed. But after I dug and dug thru online documents I FINALLY found I have to get everyone who lives within 500 ft from me to agree to it.Oh and I also have to get the HUMANE SOCIETY to give me permission to keep my own 4 cats and dogs before they can live there. :lau
Oh no! That's obviously not the most animal friendly place, or at least the ordinances are way too strict. I've never heard of anyone needing permission from any Humane Society to keep cats and dogs.

Oh no! That's obviously not the most animal friendly place, or at least the ordinances are way too strict. I've never heard of anyone needing permission from any Humane Society to keep cats and dogs.
You're not allowed to own 2 cats AND 2 dogs.Only 2 of one and 1 of another.If you have more than that the HS does a home visit and if they approve the 4th animal you get to keep it!!!They hide these details in their ordinances and won't tell you what the ordinances are.You usually have to hire an attorney just to find out what they are unless you file a Fredom of Information Act then they have to.But they'll still try to charge you up to $3.00 a page to get a copy when under the Constitution(per state)they are required to send it to you digitally or email(free)

You're not allowed to own 2 cats AND 2 dogs.Only 2 of one and 1 of another.If you have more than that the HS does a home visit and if they approve the 4th animal you get to keep it!!!They hide these details in their ordinances and won't tell you what the ordinances are.You usually have to hire an attorney just to find out what they are unless you file a Fredom of Information Act then they have to.But they'll still try to charge you up to $3.00 a page to get a copy when under the Constitution(per state)they are required to send it to you digitally or email(free)
That really stinks! Is this a real suburbanish area that has large lots? Or do they say they have such ordinances to "protect" animals?

Back
Top Bottom