Neighbors black lab, killed my favorite chicken, options/?!

motoclown

Songster
9 Years
May 27, 2010
New Castle, PA
This dog has been in my yard 6 times, killed my favorite chicken and was having my rooster for brunch.
Followed his tracks backwards in the snow to the neighbors, across the creek and all.
Talked to them, and of course they say"Our dog is home."
The dog hasn't been back for a month, well last Sunday the black lab came back, our dog goes nutts*(special crazy bark)

Now our 37 12/week olds are free ranging on 17 acres.
Thank goodness the dog was more interested in chasing a deer.
Got a couple of warning shots off but my big dilemma is........

1. Where do I find the regulations about shooting a nuisance dog who is attacking my chickens.
I live in Western Pennsylvania.
Lawrence County

2. What if I shoot the dog and just wound him and he makes his way home?
[I down with the SSS but sometimes the best laid plans go awry.
I'm PO'ed that they can't keep their dog home and he is a killer.]

Get ahold of that dog if you can, and paint a nice red target on it's side. That'll send a nice message to the owner.

If you wound it and it goes home, you know nothing about it. Simply put. After all, they said their dog "was home".
wink.png

If you're really worried, just call the dog warden in your county. They would know what kind of advice to give you.

I went to the police last month and they said "Oh you have chickens?,"
like it was strange and chuckled, but they said they would call the dog warden.
Not sure if they did.

I won't be able to catch the dog.
Doesn't come close to us.
But he makes a b-line right for the coop now, now that he knows where it's at.

I did catch another dog that was with him last Sunday and took him to the pound.
He was a young shepherd/husky mix.
So, I hope they are getting the message loud and clear.

It just sucks around here.
It seems like you do more time for killing a dog then if you would kill a person.

Where do I find the regulations about shooting a nuisance dog who is attacking my chickens.

http://www.google.com/webhp?complet...&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&fp=e5fa828e5bee98d1

§ 459-501. Killing dogs; dogs as nuisances

(a) Legal to kill certain dogs.--Any person may kill any dog which he sees in the act of pursuing or wounding or killing any domestic animal, wounding or killing other dogs, cats or household pets, or pursuing, wounding or attacking human beings, whether or not such a dog bears the license tag required by the provisions of this act. There shall be no liability on such persons in damages or otherwise for such killing.

http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stuspa3ps459_502.htm#s501

Last edited:
Could you really shoot a dog? Seriously, I know they are attacking your chickens and you are just protecting whats yours, but could you actually shoot and kill someones pet? The dog doesnt know any better. Its not like just shooting a groundhog or bird. This is a domesticated animal. I would use a BB gun pumped 1-2 times to shoot the dog in the butt, or use a paintball gun or Air soft gun. I have chickens but could never shoot someones dog.

A loving pet owner would keep his dog safe. Like either in the house, fenced yard, on a leash or run..Hope you don't ever have to shoot it and that the owner starts taking responsibility!!! Good luck

Down here it's protect your own, ifyou have proof the animal was trying to harm or harming your animals you are fully able to shoot it. I'm a dog lover and have my own dogs, and I raise mini horses as well, and am an overall animal lover, but I'm not gonna go softy if a dog or any animal is endagering my animals. That said if your gonna shoot, shoot to kill, don't shoot to wound, do it as fast and as easiest as possible.

tec27,

Not sure if you have ever lost chickens to a dog or not, but when your cleaning up the carcasses of your chickens after a dog tore through your coop and kills them ALL, it puts things into perspective.
I love dogs, but that doesnt give the dog the right to harm my birds, next thing it attacks might be my dog or a kid somethings arent entitled to a second chance. there is no distinction between a pet
and a wild predator, the end result will be the same if you dont take care of the problem. i agree with hisdaughter about loving pet owners, people need to stop passing the buck when it comes to taking
responsibility for their animals, and shouldnt cry foul when they end up dead or missing because they cant be bothered to maintain a fence or use a proper leash or chain to restrain their pet.
Just my 2 cents after loosing a bunch of birds.

Quote:
Haven't lost a bird yet, and don't plan to, but it's even worse when it's a mini horse or donkey, or goat or other small animal, not to mention a lot more costly! Losoe dogs can inflict a lot of danage and if you've ever gone out to check a herd and found a foal killed by a stupid roaming dog that had nothing better to do, you'd want ot shoot them too (and the owners honestly). Or dealt with a mare that fought for all she had to protect her foal and got bitten up in the process and see her grieve for the loss of her foal, it's jsut not good. No it's not the dogs fault, and is the owners, but facts are that they may start at a chicken or cat and will work up to the bigger prey, and once one starts you can't break them, so if they get out again they'll get worse

Be prepared!.....Next time the dog is over, take some pics.

If he kills some chickens, shoot him, the pics are your evidence.

If he doesn't kill chickens, take a couple copies of the pics to the
owner as proof his dog isn't always at home (he knows this already,
but now he won't be able to play dumb).

spot

Back
Top Bottom