May 29, 2019
This is mostly just to vent, but if anyone has any practical advice or has had similar experiences, I'm happy to hear from you!

Last spring our neighbors added 12 chicks (9 RIRs and 3 speckleds) and 3 turkeys to their small flock of ducks. They are a lovely flock and i've enjoyed my task of tending to them when the neighbors are away--but I also get stressed because their conditions are rough (muddy, poop-laden pen, no ventilation in coop, dirty water). That said, beyond kind advice it's not my place to tell them how to manage their flock so I've been quietly supportive. I've mentioned ventilation a few times in a casual way but they've always acted like I'm being a crazy chicken lady lol. Oh well.

Anyway, the neighbors are away 8-6 during the week so are largely not around to keep an eye on their flock. They got into the habit of all descending onto our much smaller property where I keep chickens and we have a big dog--and it'd been a bear to manage. Recently our neighbors seem to have caught on and lock them in the run during the day, but two of their speckleds always escape and spend the day by my coop/run. I've grown to love these two very sweet, submissive hens (the rest of the flock are RIRsand are bosses).

A few weeks back I started noticing the two speckleds would always come down to our property with scabby combs--due to that and their submissive nature I assumed they were likely getting bullied (hence escaping). One of them always looked particularly battered--and she's the one that I'd always find dozing off at dusk outside my coop, and I'd have to carry her back up to her flock.

Well things took a turn for the worst yesterday. Like usual, I was greeted by the two speckleds who were begging to get into my girls' run for food/water. But I noticed one had a terribly bloodied comb--her whole head was drenched and caked in blood. I immediately alerted the neighbors and let them know i'd clean her up and dress her. Upon closer inspection, once I got the bleeding to stop, it was obvious she'd been badly bullied--feathers plucked from top of head and comb looks like it endured a battery of pecking. Small shavings were embedded in the clotting consistent with what's in their coop area.

I let the neighbors know so they could take proper management steps. They were thankful but ignored my advice and said they thought she was rebellious, got out, and a hawk likely attacked her. Even though I said both girls had tattered combs. They said they're going to keep 'em in. They also noted they never saw bullying in their flock (even though they are never home--they leave at sun up and are back after dark). I told them had she not been able to get out of the run she could've died--trying to indicate it's good she can get out.

For now they're keeping her in the coop separated from the others, which is good, and asked that I redress her wounds today so I can check on her (they don't have the first aid supplies or the time to administer). I'm just worried they will get her back with the others too quickly and without supervision and that next time she won't be so lucky.

I can't tell you how sweet this girl is. She lays eggs around my coop/run, tries to nap outside it, and loves belly scratches and just chattering with my hens through the run's enclosure. She follows me everywhere when I'm outside. I know she and her sister are having trouble with drama and I'm so worried it could get worse and I won't be here to catch it. But I also know it's not my place nor my responsibility. Nonetheless I'm loosing sleep over it! Any advice is much appreciated.

Here are low quality photos I snapped after partially cleaning her.
IMG_20210114_114501.jpg

IMG_20210114_120300.jpg

She’s lucky to have someone paying attention to her welfare. Might it be an appropriate option to offer to buy her?
Yes, this would be an idea. I have had RIRs, and when they know that something is weaker than them, and won't generally fight back, they do not relent. I also have a Speckled Sussex, who is a real sweetie, but at the bottom of the pecking order. You could certainly ask if they would be okay with you taking them.

She’s lucky to have someone paying attention to her welfare. Might it be an appropriate option to offer to buy her?

I've thought about it but I have three very real challenges:
  • Space. My coop is pretty much at capacity.
  • Pride. My neighbors are great but they have a lot of pride. Which is why I get rebuffed anytime I offer chicken keeping advice, like adding ventilation to the coop. They are of the let the weak ones get tough or die mentality.
  • My husband. He'll definitely raise a drink about me adding a chicken.
That said, I'd make it work if I have to. The neighbor joked about culling and I want to indicate that I'll take her if they are ever considering that for real.

Yes, this would be an idea. I have had RIRs, and when they know that something is weaker than them, and won't generally fight back, they do not relent. I also have a Speckled Sussex, who is a real sweetie, but at the bottom of the pecking order. You could certainly ask if they would be okay with you taking them.
I have an RIR too and told them that RIRs--from experience--are dictators (ours is behind most of my few bullying incidents). They're just like nahh we never see bullying I always thought the speckleds run the show--which is infuriating because they are never here. My husband and I have to deal with their flock more than they do lol.

I may work up to ask but I have to navigate some challenges on my end (space and husband).

I have an RIR too and told them that RIRs--from experience--are dictators (ours is behind most of my few bullying incidents). They're just like nahh we never see bullying I always thought the speckleds run the show--which is infuriating because they are never here. My husband and I have to deal with their flock more than they do lol.

I may work up to ask but I have to navigate some challenges on my end (space and husband).
Yeah, how can they tell who runs the show if they're never home? It doesn't make sense. I hope you get this figured out!

Yeah, how can they tell who runs the show if they're never home? It doesn't make sense. I hope you get this figured out!
Thank you, I hope so too! I appreciate your thoughts. I'll try to be vigilant but if the bullying persists I may offer to take her and just figure it out. Otherwise I don't know if she'll survive.

Would they notice if she was gone? What if she adopts your flock, and somehow “gets into” your run, like she gets out of hers? Of course, you might help her get into your run, but still... you could act surprised. Of course, I’m not saying you should just take her, but if she has already done everything in her power to adopt your flock as hers, then maybe the neighbors would accept if you traded.... say, your RIR for their speckled?

Would they notice if she was gone? What if she adopts your flock, and somehow “gets into” your run, like she gets out of hers? Of course, you might help her get into your run, but still... you could act surprised. Of course, I’m not saying you should just take her, but if she has already done everything in her power to adopt your flock as hers, then maybe the neighbors would accept if you traded.... say, your RIR for their speckled?
They count them at night so they'd probably notice, but whether they'd mind I'm not sure. Funny story, yesterday when I was busy treating the badly injured hens comb, the other speckled with the less injured comb snuck into our coop and laid a "thank you" egg. The two of them always come in when I let my girls out to free range and have a smorgasbord--dustbathing, eating, and drinking like little hedonists. I know it's not the best biosecurity, but their flock has been all over our yard so much that containment is impossible.

Anyway, I'm thinking about how to spin an adoption should it come to that. But I couldn't trade. This is my very first flock of seven. I've had them going on two years now and am very attached to each as individuals. Also, not meant to sound judgemental but I'd feel guilty handing one over the fence--their flock has no ventilation, no clean water, and a very muddy, poop-covered run that's never cleaned. I've spoiled mine so I think they would not adjust well to the gritty life. (I also don't trust them with integration because they're never there and would likely throw em in together without supervision).

Back
Top Bottom