Neighbor's Chickens Trying to Join My Flock

Pics
I'm still working on responding to everyone's posts, but I wanted to post an update. I did end up texting them today to let them know they had two broody hens (that I'd noticed when caring for their chickens yesterday)--and gave them an FYI to keep an eye on them. I also gave them another reminder about ventilation (like a broken record, I know). Yesterday, it only got up to 70ish but it was SWELTERING in their ventless shed where the broody hens were. They had a very small, feeble fan blowing hot air around as if that would do anything without a source of fresh air to draw in. I opened up the shed door and positioned the fan to pull from the outside in, and within hours it was tolerable. I was hoping they'd see the setup upon returning and take notes, but today, water bowls were all out in the sun again, and coop was locked up tight (i.e. shed door closed). So I tried to use the FYI about broody hens as a way to advocate for ventilation--i.e. broody hens won't leave the boxes, need an extra eye to make sure they're eating/drinking enough, and that the door is left open so air can circulate, since they'll be there all day. I know they rolled their eyes but I couldn't help but to at least say something.

Anyway, I want to keep things civil because the neighbors let us know they may be selling, and my family is very interested (parents retiring soon, want the mountain life). hopefully my text wasn't too off-putting. Regardless of whether we buy, the fact that they're potentially selling it is a huge win for the chickens, who would be brought to a farm that's a much better set-up. I hope it happens soon before summer kicks in. Fingers crossed.

I'll still be reading responding when I can, between the chickens and the classes I'm taking and teaching (it's that point in the semester), I can only do so in snatches! I appreciate everyone's continued offerings of valuable two cents and support!

I have seen people who abuse their kids in the same way. "Makes them Tough." no it doesn't. It beats them up. I think it's a good idea to video the hens stmpeding for food. If they can't understand this, they are abusers. I believe hens would rather find their own food, if there was food to find. My hens have enough food, yet, they love being out and about, looking for their own. By the way the hens act, there is not enough for them to find. Give me their number and I'll call the authorities. I hate abuse, planned or just unaware. It's all the same if you're hungry.
thank you for volunteering to call. I'm not sure I'm ready for that (see update I posted) as I'm sure they'll know it's us behind it--no one else is privy to the chickens' situations and we are in a remote area. But I will let you know if we get there :)

I agree about there being a definite line between making 'em tough and neglect/abuse. Pretty sure they think that because I baby my chickens any of my advice is the advice of a crazy lady. But I am well aware that there are many ways to care for chickens--from babying, to providing them with the basics in a hands-off approach--neither of which should include outright neglect. I respect those who have the farm attitude towards chickens (the strong survive, cull the sick, etc.), but even then they take pride in providing a solid infrastructure for their flock. All the advice I've given them isn't remotely about babying--it's basic care, and I always frame it as me trying to be helpful (i.e. I relied on advice so much for my own flock!).

They may take things personally but that's not your responsibility, yes, they are the neighbors. I like the idea of showing video and feeling the keels as an Opportunity for Growth for them. If they don't take the info then your next option is to alert authorities or ask neighbors to pay for the food their chicken eat. No matter how you dice it, they aren't really doing their chickens a service and they may not like anything you tell them. Neglect is neglect.
They definitely cringe whenever I have a bit of chicken advice. Makes me feel powerless. I know this is pathetic but this morning I was crying after sending them a text about ventilation/broody hens (see recent update). It's incredibly emotionally distressful. To know what the chickens are dealing with but not being able to help because it's not my business is personally very difficult. I wish I could be one of those people who could compartmentalize--I really try so hard to just help them the best I can from over here and get over it. But I just can't get it out of my head.

I love the idea of giving then info, videos, photos, etc. but I feel like if I even text them advice that's more than a sentence they roll their eyes and ignore it. I just don't know what options I have at this point, especially given the current situation (again see update). Thank you for your words :)

Exactly...
There's nothing offensive about stating the facts in a kind/firm voice:
"Your chickens are in my yard, what do you want me to do about it?"
Or, "what are you going to do about it?"
This is my husband's approach. My concern is that they'll pen their girls back up, and the only silver lining to their situation is that they can be free ranging most of the time and only stuck in their horrible coop/pen situation nights/for shorter stretches.

I think the easiest and best decision is to let their chickens on their own move in with you. I know it's not you first choice but you already said you have a soft spot for a couple of them. Animals go where they are fed properly. Free range still means you have to feed properly. Once their chickens start disappearing maybe they will take notice. Then confront them with "well they moved into my hen house and I don't know what to do about it??" Turn the whole situation on them after the chicken moved to your house.
I would literally let this happen except our coop is at capacity (it's only made for the number of chickens currently residing). If I had a bigger set-up, I would completely have an open door policy. Even thinking about adding one means I have to brainstorm expansion plans.

Same with ours! I recently began removing sod in some new areas for this year's vegetable garden and the chickens love to be out tilling the soil for me and finding goodies. They see me coming outside with a dish, they think it's the treats I am about to toss over their "job sites". They won't even go for the pellets until I put them back in their coop during our lunch time. I know they do eat their layer feed because it's always gone by the time I go back out to do more yard work. They are spoiled, haha.

To hear that OPs neighbors' chickies are running down the hill and devouring the food she gives her own flock makes me think hmmm.. these birds need a lot of protein and much more food in their diet. I am wondering if they might have worms. This is similar behaviour to a neighborhood cat from when I was a kid, it had worms so it would go wherever anyone was free feeding and eat all the other kitties' meals. Another thought I have is they sound like their neighborss may have noticed their birds wouldn't eat more than a small amount of their feed when there was plenty of forage, to the point that they assumed that's all they need all the time. They probably don't realize there isn't nearly as much free range snackage right now, especially if they are not home all the time to keep their chickens company and really observe how they behave.
Yes, I don't think they realize, but I also don't think they'll like me telling them so I have no idea how to make them have the realization on their own lol. So if you see my recent updates, I was sitting them this weekend and of course gave them way more food than they usually get. I was floored by how much they ate! Whenever I put it out, it was gone. I think the turkeys are especially hungry, because it seems they just share in the chickens' two cups of layer pellets rations. No wonder they've been aggressive/cannibalistic with the other birds--I'm sure they're not getting the proper amounts of protein! I also put fresh water in shaded areas (they typically have them in algae covered black bowls sitting in the open sun) hoping they'd keep that going--but alas, this morning I saw the waterers back out in the sunny field.

I'm sad that they're back in town and I can't go up there to help them anymore. I almost wish I didn't see the things I did because now I wring my hands all day.

I'm sure they have worms--mine had a bout last year, and because of the intermingling, it's almost a given they have 'em. I've thought about bringing this up to, but I know it will garner eye rolls and ultimately be ignored.

T
I think in this situation it would be obvious who made the call. They have seen OP feed their birds, they know OP knows what their birds' living conditions are.
I only say this based on experience...
I made an "anonymous" call on my neighbors who were repeatedly burning in a barrel nine feet from my house, after several attempts to reason with them and asking them to stop. They would burn while we were gone, and we would come home to a house filled with garbage smoke. When they would use the burn barrel it resulted in visible smoke buildup near the ceiling in my house and was landing me some misdirected complaints from the other neighbors who thought it was me. I used to be good friends with them until I made the call after several conversations about it. They knew I was the one who complained. They still don't talk to me and it's been months.
That's what we fear. We want things to be warm between us, as they largely have been. Especially since recent updates (see my updated post). I'm actually starting to worry they'll somehow see this thread.... lol

This sounds like abuse to me.Chickens without food,and filthy water?Just because chickens are "tough" or "hardy" is NO reason to keep them that way.Mine get FRESH water regularly throught the day,in large gallon buckets,so any dirt falls to the bottom,leaving clean water on top.They are also replenished with food throughout the day,so they never go hungry.No ventilation??What about the heat in summer? Chickens NEED LOTS of fresh,circulating air,drawn in,and the hot air DRAWN OUT to keep cool.I have no less than 6 large fans to do that,without causing a draft.Chickens cannot sweat,so they exhale the heat out,and their bones and feathers are hollow,which also helps get rid of heat.but they NEED circulating air.In winter I have 3ooo-5000 watt heaters to keep them warm,all insulated against drafts of cold air.Maybe thats why mine live an average of 10-15 years
You wouldn't believe what I had to see this weekend while caring for them (please see recent posts for details--there's more than what I'll post here). They had their shed airtight, door closed, with a feeble standing fan (like an indoor office type fan) with its back to a wall blowing around hot air--what is even the point? I opened up the shed door, which at least brings cool air from one side, and positioned the fan to draw the cool air in. Of course now that they're back I see the thing is all locked up again--I feel for the broody hens in there. They will not make it through summer if that keeps up.

And algae laden black rubber bowls of water? All positioned out in the open yard, right in the sun. When I was there I moved them under a large tree so they would stay cool... and of course today they are back out in the blazing sun. I feel helpless.

I did send a text about ventilation... again... lol. We'll see if something sticks this time.

Thank you @BrooksHatlen and @3KillerBs for the advice. I'd first like to try and reason with them tactfully--I do believe if they truly know their hens are starving they wouldn't want that (they just are skeptical of my advice, like they were about ventilation lol). I think they believe chickens are tougher than they are--and they ARE tough, but they do need basics. When I went to close up my run I had to carry some of their chickens out, and some have really prominent keel bones :( I'm wondering if worms are also a problem.

I have been giving them some feed to supplement but we've been running through it like crazy now--they REALLY EAT. I also always leave water out. I'm not sure how my husband would feel about feeding them regularly because we may end up with all 12 of them and the turkeys down here on our much smaller property, but that's something I've been quietly thinking about. Let me know if you have any ideas on tactful breaching of the topic.

Thanks again for responding!
Maybe next time you are discussing chicken care with them you mention that a standard chicken needs 1/2 to 3/4 cup of feed per chicken per day on top of free ranging and, ,phew, your chickens really cost you a lot to keep fed.
Mine free range in the yard, but their feed is gone in less than 30 minutes and they are on the chunky side. They always act like they are starving to death when they see me with snacks or feed- so they are also like pirhannas. I know they have had enough to eat. Good luck with that issue.

Back
Top Bottom