Neighbor's dog came back for our ducks today! What to do?

Yesterday the neighbor's dog almost killed our beloved Nona Duck:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-and-is-breathing-heavy.1437864/post-23813263

I spoke with the neighbor yesterday when they brought injured Nona back home and she promised me to keep her dog at home.

Obviously she was not very successful and the dog came back for our ducks. The ducks alerted me, i looked out of the window and saw the dog with another duck in its mouth and, ran out of the house yelling loudly. The dog let go of the duck and tried to flee, but could not find a way through the fence (2ft tall), panicked and turned on me. I cornered it and called the neighbor to pick it up and a loud argument started, she is accusing us to have her dog injured with a shovel (my wife had a shovel in her hand b/c she was afraid of the growling, barking and snapping dog). Neighbor is threatening us with the police and the law now and i am not sure what to do now, i like to report the incidence somewhere just in case the neighbor really tries to press charges.
Oh my goodness! This sounds very intense. I hope your ducks recover and the legal issues aren't too brutal. Good luck!

Also, please, please see a doctor or go to an urgent care clinic today. Your bites may become infected. And you'll need a tetanus shot.
Yes! Even if they don’t look infected right now, the bite wounds can quickly change. You definitely need a tetanus shot. Ain’t nobody got time for this mess. We still have Covid to deal with. I am so sorry Hillbilly.

Sure did, but there was only a voicemail picking up my call... I am still waiting for them to return my call.
Find the number to your Central Dispatch and call it. You have essentially been attacked by a person’s pet.

I agree with @The Kooky Kiwi 100% that the dog isn’t a mean dog. However, it looks a lot like a Springer Spaniel and they are known for Springer “rage.” Look it up. Had that breed, been there and saw it myself. And that breed is a retriever, so it isn’t gonna let up on your birds...unless you make it.

We once had a Springer Spaniel not the behavior I would ever expect from one. Sure they are bird dogs and intelligent, learn commands easily, as well as loving and sweet. I had a similar situation with dogs in my coup from the neighbors. They were only raiding the chicken feed. One ran back through the hole they had made for their ingress/egress point as soon as it saw me, the other had to be convinced to leave as it thought stand your ground applied. A good sized rock to the backside convinced it to move on smartly. Having never played baseball I was impressed I hit my target so well. I did apologize to my neighbor but explained the situation.

It is true that Rage Syndrome was first documented in springer spaniels. (Has been documented in other breeds too, including cocker spaniels). But rage syndrome is thought to possibly be related to brain seizures, & spontaneously occurs without any known trigger. Not the case in this situation. But even if it WERE the case, the result is the same: the dog will be required to be quarrantined or tested for rabies.
It is true u might have trouble getting any response from authorities if it was "only" a dog vs duck issue. The huge deal is that you were bit. May take a short while for them to get back to you, but surely they soon will. If not, call them back, letting them know (again) that you were bit, & that the bite broke the skin.

Ps to OP: yes you are right to blame the neighbor/ owner, not the dog. However, i disagree that your actions caused the situation to "spiral out of control." The dog was attacking your ducks on Your property, & you attempted to protect your ducks. Most dogs will NOT bite when cornered; they will do their best to flee, or simply cower. Whether fear-aggressive, people-aggressive, livestock-aggressive, etc etc, you DID encounter an aggressive dog. That BIT you. Your actions didnt cause it to be aggressive; it already was. Please keep the blame on the owner (& by extension the aggressive dog), & not in any way on yourself. Again, you did nothing wrong in attempting to protect your ducks. Dont get me wrong; im not confrontational by nature and am very grateful i have good (rural) neighbors. But your neighbor, like her dog, has ALSO essentially attacked you first. Thats why i adamantly say to stand your ground.

Just wanted to comment and say please go to er/urgent care right away. This is a dog you don't know, and have no proof of having a rabies shot. It's uncommon, but rabies is a quick killer and a horrible way to die. Please go get a shot right away if you haven't already. It only takes a few days to set in (5-10 days) and then there's nothing they can do to treat you if you contract rabies.

Back
Top Bottom