Neighbor's dog continually tries to enter our yard.

Fair enough, given that they are your dogs. My perspective is that I shouldn't have to install electric fencing to keep someone elses pets off my property. I'm a little bit sore about it because I have found my neighbors dog on my property a couple of times lately and chased it away. I authentically dislike people who do not either tie or adequately fence their dog(s) in. People assume that because they like their dog, everyone else is going to like it too, which definitely isn't the case.

I'm sorry you have to deal.with this. I too have a neighbow with problematic dogs. I have told her time and time again AND showed her the damage this dog is causing to my fences and she kept denying it, saying it was coyotes. Well she ate her own words today when she came over today asking if I had given her dog a bone. I said no, but I had one for my dog that she.kept in the backyard, and its no longer around. The slap of realization was quite amusing as she finally grasped everything I ever told her the dog was doing. I hope everything works out for you. I've been dealing with this for 3 months now. Ever since I moved here.

No matter what you do the dog owner will blame you if anything happens to the dog. If you do not have your own fence. add it.
Anything that comes into that fenced yard that you do not want there kill it.Sounds like everyone is just waiting for the dog to get loose and bite someone. Well let me tell you dog attacks are insane.When I was fighting off the husky that was biting my dog it was intense. Just imagine if it were your kid. Scars or death. Why wait for that?

Like I tell my kids who cares about someone paying for a crime when the victim is injured for life or dead. Why cares at that point? Don't let it get to that. Secure your property and kill the dog when it enters. The owner sounds like a NFH so be careful.I have read people kill people over their dogs. Do what you can on your property and don't argue with the dog owner.If you put in a fence do the metal fencing skirt along the bottom buried under and out for diggers.

No matter what you do the dog owner will blame you if anything happens to the dog. If you do not have your own fence. add it.
Anything that comes into that fenced yard that you do not want there kill it.Sounds like everyone is just waiting for the dog to get loose and bite someone. Well let me tell you dog attacks are insane.When I was fighting off the husky that was biting my dog it was intense. Just imagine if it were your kid. Scars or death. Why wait for that?

Like I tell my kids who cares about someone paying for a crime when the victim is injured for life or dead. Why cares at that point? Don't let it get to that. Secure your property and kill the dog when it enters. The owner sounds like a NFH so be careful.I have read people kill people over their dogs. Do what you can on your property and don't argue with the dog owner.If you put in a fence do the metal fencing skirt along the bottom buried under and out for diggers.

Very very true. Several years back our neighbors dog was loose and got onto our property. Their dog killed one of my cats - BRUTALLY - it was a 6 month old kitten to be exact and theirs was a large breed dog, so it wasn't like the dog was in any danger. Not only that the attack happened in front of our kids. My husband took a bat to the dog to scare it off and we called animal control. Want to know what our neighbors said -- "Your cat shouldn't have been outside" and they GOT UPSET THAT MY HUSBAND BEAT THEIR DOG - they were actually lucky considering the other option was to set OUR dog out on him and I am pretty sure our dog would have done more damage. Animal control deemed the dog a danger and did have the animal put down - but only because our neighbors had this issue with another of their dogs getting out and attacking pets/people. Our neighbors were FURIOUS at us and accused us of completely over reacting. Now mine you, when their dog got my cat my husband and two TODDLERS were in the yard as well. As upset as I was about the cat.....I was thankful my children were not attacked.

Point is, it can be very difficult to get some people to admit and take responsibility for a loose dog. In my personal experiences over the years, if they are the type to let the dog roam the neighborhood regularly or get onto other peoples property and cause damage and not completely fix the problem right away, you have an uphill battle getting them to fix the situation.

Hotwire would be great. Also sink wire into the ground by the holes as dogs use the same holes over again if possible. Sink cinder blocks into the ground around the coop to have really to collapse if he digs. A cheap pellet gun with plastic pellets will work if he is in your yard when you see him. If you can get close enough use pepper spray. That's super scary and painful for the dog.

Sorry about that. Recently my neighbor's dogs attacked my flock and I still suffer from my loss. My neighbor didn't responded about the damages nor pay anything. he just leashed the dogs again. You are lucky your neighbor paid your expenses, I lost more than $350.00 on this attack apart from the emotional feeling. I have now resolved to do one thing, I will not be responsible either for another dog that enters my property. If they come back again, sure they are dead dogs. I don't like being like that, but neighbors tend to abuse sometimes.

Hotwire would be great. Also sink wire into the ground by the holes as dogs use the same holes over again if possible. Sink cinder blocks into the ground around the coop to have really to collapse if he digs. A cheap pellet gun with plastic pellets will work if he is in your yard when you see him. If you can get close enough use pepper spray. That's super scary and painful for the dog.
Oddly enough, in many place while you can legally kill an intruding dog, shooting it with paint balls, pellets, BBs or pepper spray constitute animal abuse and you will be charged. Seems backwards that warning a dog off is worse legally than shooting it, but that seems to be the law. You might check it out in your area before you haul out the pellet gun.

Back
Top Bottom