Neighbor's dog continually tries to enter our yard.

You may have made an enemy of that neighbor but sometimes they just don't leave you a choice. When it comes down to protecting what's yours versus staying in the neighbor's good graces... again, by their own actions they didn't leave you any choice. They are lucky they still have the dog. If they were rural that dog would have been shot a long time ago.

Bait may be a bad way to go, but I personally think the chickens that this dog has killed didn't have such a good time of it.

I don't have a problem with fast-acting bait. It is more humane than drowning.

If the neighbors don't want their dog to die, they should keep it at home.

Bait may be a bad way to go, but I personally think the chickens that this dog has killed didn't have such a good time of it.

I don't have a problem with fast-acting bait. It is more humane than drowning.

If the neighbors don't want their dog to die, they should keep it at home.

not all use poisin a lot of folks use a coupla bottles of tylenol/ground beef to control feral cats and dogs

sorry for my horrible spelling spell check does not work here

Last edited:
We are in Sunnyvale. I am hoping to work this out with the neighbor. I'll let you guys know how it works out.
I live down in Merced ca just north of Fresno and i had three dog come in and kill my chickens. The next day they came back and I shot one but he got away and two days later the two other dogs came back and i shot and killed another other dog. he even ran off my property before he died and the animal control said that it didn't matter. they said if he was bothering your livestock you did the right thing in shooting him. they also told me that if an animal is reported as a livestock killer it is mandatory that he is euthenized. there is no second chance or rehomeing option. the dog is put down. So your neighbor should feel lucky their dog isn't dead right now. I wouldnt tolerate the dog on my property at all. the minute you see it call AC and keep it in your yard until they come and tell them to put it down.

I'm a dog lover, and have 2 of my own, so I don't say this lightly. But that dog now knows where it can have a bunch of fun and if your neighbor is not willing to do something about it, you should warn him that you will shoot his dog if you see it in your yard ever again, and then follow through with it. I lost 15 chickens Saturday to a dog attack. I wish I knew whose dog it was. But I have warned all neighbors who have a dog that I now have a zero tolerance policy on dogs in my yard. My gun is sitting by the door, ready to go.

You could always trap it and haul it to the pound. Or call animal control and tell them it has been coming in your yard where your children play and you fear it will attack them. Tell them it does bite it has already killed your chickens what's not to say it decides children are on it mind next time it comes in your yard. Children can not be replaced. And big dogs can hurt a small child in no time.

I live in the middle of no where. You could kill somebody and people would just resolve it without the cops lol we are very old fashioned around here.

I have that problem here where I'm at. My neighbors have a Great Pyrenees and a Collie looking thing. They have already been shot once trying to get into my pigs and the next time will probably be the last time. But here in Idaho we can legally shoot a dog that is on our property. I do agree with fencing to keep critters out though. We are going to fence the perimeter of our coop and run with hot wire and our back yard is going to be fenced more to keep animals out than to keep my dog in. Good luck with your situation and I hope all works out for you.

Back
Top Bottom