Neighbors dog killed chicken

auntphibian

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 20, 2014
Ashland City, TN
My chickens are close to egg laying age. We were all outside when my neighbors dog came over and wanted a belly rub. Next thing I know, chickens are running to me, screaming. Sprayed the dog with water and she disappeared behind the cars. Did a chicken count was missing my favorite black maran. We searched and found no sign. Drive to my neigh or and there was the dog with my chicken, dead, and half plucked. Calling animal control in the morning. Neigh or has not returned my call, but that dog is not coming back to my yard. I am so upset over this. What does my neighbor owe me?

You are owed the price of a replacement bird of the same age and quality. So sorry! Also sounds like you need some fencing, or at least a safe chicken run. Electric tape or electrified poultry netting work very well to discourage dogs, etc. The dog owner is responsible for keeping her dog at home, but it sounds like you've all been good with friendly dog visits until now. I hope you can maintain friendly relations with the neighbor; that means apologies and payment, and critter containment in the future. I would file a complaint with AC if things can't be worked out informally first. Then if things really don't go well, there's plan B, and SSS. Mary

My chickens are close to egg laying age. We were all outside when my neighbors dog came over and wanted a belly rub. Next thing I know, chickens are running to me, screaming. Sprayed the dog with water and she disappeared behind the cars. Did a chicken count was missing my favorite black maran. We searched and found no sign. Drive to my neigh or and there was the dog with my chicken, dead, and half plucked. Calling animal control in the morning. Neigh or has not returned my call, but that dog is not coming back to my yard. I am so upset over this. What does my neighbor owe me?
I'm so terribly sorry for the loss of your beautiful black maran...it's never easy. When you feel you can talk to your neighbor without breaking down into tears, this is what I would say (and have):

"Your dog came over to my property and killed one of my chickens. If he comes onto my property again, he will not return."

Sounds very point-blank and rude, but a scumbag chicken killer is just that...a scumbag. The worst part is this....he will be back now that he knows where chicken dinner is.

Last edited:
You are owed the price of a replacement bird of the same age and quality.  So sorry!  Also sounds like you need some fencing, or at least a safe chicken run.  Electric tape or electrified poultry netting work very well to discourage dogs, etc.  The dog owner is responsible for keeping her dog at home, but it sounds like you've all been good with friendly dog visits until now.  I hope you can maintain friendly relations with the neighbor;  that means apologies and payment, and critter containment in the future.  I would file a complaint with AC if things can't be worked out informally first.  Then if things really don't go well, there's plan B, and SSS.  Mary

Very sound advice here. I do not employ plan B as indicated above, rather I is make sure all neighbors including dog owner and law enforcement are in the know, then shoot and shovel. In most instance you will have it written in your legal code the right to protect stock. If the dog owner does not know what risks are or what happened you are more likely to have a repeat with that party. A big part of correction is having neighbors also apply pressure, sometimes just vague disapproval. Do your best to keep your emotions under control as they can complicate matters greatly.

In the end the biggest threat to your birds is the dog you do not know and the fencing is a very good step in controlling that threat.

You are owed the price of a replacement bird of the same age and quality.
It depends on the state. In some states this is true. In others, it's your responsibility to keep other's animals out.

If the neighbor's dog can just run up and eat your chickens, so can a coyote, fox, or stray.

It depends on the state. In some states this is true. In others, it's your responsibility to keep other's animals out.

If the neighbor's dog can just run up and eat your chickens, so can a coyote, fox, or stray.
If it's our responsibility to keep other's animals out...it is also their responsibility to keep their animals home!

I feel like it is my responsibility to protect my chickens from Mother Nature's critters. In 50 years of chicken keeping I have lost chickens to hawks and foxes. These chickens were free ranging, so the odds were to the predator's advantage.

Since I have lived on this property, I do not dare free range my chickens. I have lost way too many birds in the last 2 years to dogs that one particular neighbor refuses to keep home. When animal control informed them of the laws concerning dogs roaming at large the response? I live in the country, I will not chain my dogs up!

His dogs have torn up cages, dug under wall and gates, climbed up dog kennel walls and jumped down into pens, and chewed through another wall.

My opinion on neighbor "pets" is the neighbor's responsibility to keep his dogs on his property. If he does not, it is my responsibility to make sure the dog does not get the chance to come back to wreak havoc again. My rifle is my chicken's best friend.......

In some states, in agricultural zoning, it's not. In some states, unless the dog destroys fencing, it's completely your problem. The point is - know your local laws. You don't want to end up in jail over the cost of a roll of fence.

Back
Top Bottom