Neighbors Dog Massacred My flock

Look on CL for what breeds and ages yours were or comparable birds. Charge that plus price of materials to repair. And if you want (I would) tack on a couple hours labor cost. $10 or $15 a hour.
IMO that's fair and its what courts would decide if they were involved.
My husband said "All that time, Food and work put into them. Then to be killed for "fun" by a dog!"
We always worried about wildlife and aerial predators.
But the neighbors hunting dog 😭🤬

I'm so sorry for your losses, so very sad.
Agree that your neighbor is offering to do what's right, and needs to also keep his dog at home! At least figure the best price for all your birds, and costs and labor costs for your coop and fencing upgrades. A determined dog, or dogs, and raccoons can do amazing damage, as you've seen. (And bears are in a class all by themselves.)
Electric fencing is your friend!!! As an addition to physical fencing especially.
Again, so sorry.
Mary

One of my dogs also killed many of our birds when we had a fence failure. Dogs need to be trained to ignore poultry, and may still kill poultry not 'their own'. It's a fencing issue, both for the dog owner, and for you.
Many of us have had awful experiences and found out that our coop and run were not safe for our birds. Building Ft. Knox is the way to go!
Mary

One of my dogs also killed many of our birds when we had a fence failure. Dogs need to be trained to ignore poultry, and may still kill poultry not 'their own'. It's a fencing issue, both for the dog owner, and for you.
Many of us have had awful experiences and found out that our coop and run were not safe for our birds. Building Ft. Knox is the way to go!
Mary
This was a Hunting dog i 100% blame the owner on this one. Especially since we found out this happened to another neighbor last year same dog.

This was a Hunting dog i 100% blame the owner on this one. Especially since we found out this happened to another neighbor last year same dog.
Courts have been known to award 100% cost to replace flock with similar chicks & cost to raise them to laying age plus loss of eggs in the meantime (6 months or so) plus materials & labor to repair any damaged structures plus medical bills for any survivors.Don't go too easy on them.

So sorry for your loss. Around here adult chickens can bring $15.00 dollars each. And lumber is no longer cheap. So, if your neighbor is willing to pay, make him pay. Also include the cost of predator proofing your coop-including an electric fence charger and wire. Again, so sorry for your loss.

Since your neighbor has volunteered to pay for replacement and repair costs, I would be fair with what it costs to replace your chickens and replace your coop/run with hardware cloth. My Daddy had a lab for duck hunting when we were kids. The dog was kept in a run and only out when it was walked or training. I would ask your neighbor to build a run for his dog, when the dog will be outside with out the owner. He needs to make sure the fence is high enough that the dog can't jump over it or climb it.

Back
Top Bottom