Neighbor's dog trying to dig under fence

mizz9

Chirping
Jun 22, 2016
Silicon Valley Area, CA
So we live in the city in a regular suburban neighborhood with 6" privacy fences. We are letting our 3 chickens free range inside our yard (they get safely locked in a coop/run at night). We had no idea our neighbor even had a dog until today, when I noticed a hole developing under the fence and a set of paws frantically digging near where the chickens were pecking around. From what I could tell the dog is a medium/large size so I don't know how long it would take for it to dig a hole big enough to really get under the fence, but it is scaring me.

We don't know these neighbors but suspect them to be unsavory people, so I'm not too sure whether I'd want to go talk to them... any suggestions (ideally nothing electrical) for either deterring the dog or fortifying the fence? (without making the fence look ugly)

So we live in the city in a regular suburban neighborhood with 6" privacy fences. We are letting our 3 chickens free range inside our yard (they get safely locked in a coop/run at night). We had no idea our neighbor even had a dog until today, when I noticed a hole developing under the fence and a set of paws frantically digging near where the chickens were pecking around. From what I could tell the dog is a medium/large size so I don't know how long it would take for it to dig a hole big enough to really get under the fence, but it is scaring me.

We don't know these neighbors but suspect them to be unsavory people, so I'm not too sure whether I'd want to go talk to them... any suggestions (ideally nothing electrical) for either deterring the dog or fortifying the fence? (without making the fence look ugly)

Sprinkle some black pepper in the hole,
Best,
Karen

The dog can dig a hole big enough to squeeze under in 10 minutes. Talk to the owners or start burying hardware cloth at least 18" all along the bottom of your fence

Last edited:
The dog can dig a hole big enough to squeeze under in 10 minutes. Talk to the owners or start burying hardware cloth at least 18" all along the bottom of your fence
Exactly.....meanwhile keep your birds locked up in a secure coop/run, document all activity of dogs and neighbors...and find out the local laws for dog containment.

Found out the dog is a scary looking pit bull. We are looking into options for fortifying our fence. We are already dealing with training our own dog to accept the chickens, which we were prepared for, but didn't expect this to happen. Haven't talked to the neighbors yet, I'm nervous to do that since our neighborhood isn't super great, we have no idea what these people may be like.

Anyone tried this product?
http://digdefence.com/

It looks really good but maybe too good to be true?? Also I just don't know if anything can stop a determined pit bull.

Found out the dog is a scary looking pit bull. We are looking into options for fortifying our fence. We are already dealing with training our own dog to accept the chickens, which we were prepared for, but didn't expect this to happen. Haven't talked to the neighbors yet, I'm nervous to do that since our neighborhood isn't super great, we have no idea what these people may be like.

Anyone tried this product?
http://digdefence.com/

It looks really good but maybe too good to be true?? Also I just don't know if anything can stop a determined pit bull.
Looks expensive.......the longer heavier stuff might work.......could be a bear to install if you don't have nice soft rock free soil.

You know the pepper in the hole might work, especially if the dog is actively digging when you sprinkle it.
Has the hole been enlarged?
You might need to keep your birds confined to a run unless you are there to supervise.

I filled the hole back in which had lasted a couple days. I heard barking this morning and when I ran outside, noticed the hole was larger than the original one, and the dog could almost get its face underneath (that's how I know it is a pitbull). If I hadn't been monitoring the situation it would have been bad for sure. For now the chickens are safely locked in their run and I put a cinder block in the hole to block it until we figure out what to do. I am sad because the chickens JUST got the hang of free ranging and were having a great time in the yard! Darn dog had to ruin it.

I'd find out the laws regarding this situation, call animal control and ask.
Are chickens allowed in your area?
Do you own your home or are you renting....do the dog owners rent or own....are you and/or they new to the neighborhood?
You really should let them know that 'their dog is trying to get out of their yard'...
.......be nice and non-confrontational and don't mention the birds, who knows, maybe they are nice people.

Back
Top Bottom