Neighbor's Dogs Killed Entire Flock & Donkey

Quote: So sorry about your loss. I have to agree with everyone else. No animal control or laws then its the law of the land protect whats yours. There only going to get worse especially if packed up. It's one thing if shes trying to secure her dogs and there was a breech accidents do happen but if they are at large all the time it's not going to stop. I would talk to her about kenneling and using electric to keep them in. If shes not willing add the cost of securing and electric for your animals to her bill. Tell her if you have go to court you will ask the judge to order her to put the dogs down. In the meantime do what you have to. I know this doesn't help take back any of the hurt.

I am so sorry to hear about your flock.

I agree that you should be reimbursed. My concern is what happens if they gang up on a child? It will be too late for remorse, then. If I had animal(s) that were leaving my property and killing livestock of any variety, I would feel obliged to dispose of the animals, either a new home or euthanize them.

Get what you can out of dog owner. You may also have legal recourse if dog owner is not willing to pay a fair amount. Be prepared to shoot dogs going after your stock next time and make certain owner of those dogs and owners of other dogs know you are willing to do so. Factoring in organic feed costs I do not think will fly if it comes down to law suit.

You will have to upgrade your protection against dogs and not just against this group. There will be more. What you described was not well suited for protecting a flock of chickens from such a pack.

I have experience with this and currently live in a similar situation with respect to dogs. Overwhelming responsibility will be on you to protect flock. It is easy for predator protection to cost more than the flock. Get some LGD's of your own and have owner of offending dogs flip the bill. I had similar with a neighbors who's dog I killed before payment was received but after a few birds were lost.

I live in a very rural area, and there is not a leash law. However, dog owners are responsible for any damages caused by their animals if they go off the owner's property.

If she is unable to pay the amount to restore your flock and repurchase a donkey comparable to your donkey (similar age etc), she may have homeowners insurance that would cover this for her. Personal liability is designed for this sort of thing. You should not "profit" from the situation, but you should be made whole and be put back in the same situation that you were in before the dogs got loose. And to be fair, you do not know for sure that it was her dogs whittling down your flock, it could have been feral dogs, other loose pet dogs, hawks, raccoon, fox, coyote etc ... the possibilities are endless!

Yes her dogs should be chained, but it is just a matter of time before they get out again even if she decides to chain or otherwise confine them.

I personally do not feel that she should have to foot that entire bill to build a state of the art coop, fencing etc, and actually doubt that she could legally be forced to do so. But reasonable compensation should certainly be paid.

The county lineman had damaged one of my pasture fences and my own goats escaped, who then got in to my own vegetable garden and orchard, obliterating every edible thing in sight. 4 wonderful apple trees were destroyed, as well as a summers whole growing season. The insurance company just could not understand how I came up with the figures I did, and they would only pay what it would cost me to purchase seedlings and young trees from a nursery. So be prepared to accept a minimal amount.

My personal approach would be to rebuild the coop close to the house, and design a better predator control system. Establish a secure coop with fencing, surrounded by an electric perimeter. If you are not prepared to shoot dogs or coyotes on your property, there are plenty of gun toting boys who would jump at the chance. Collar or no collar. Good luck in whatever you choose, it sounds like your neighbor is a good person who wants to make it right. Hard situation to deal with, but there are good solutions available to you.

I may be wrong but I believe you have overvalued your egg production. You may sell the eggs for 4 dollars per dozen but that does not equate to 4 dollars per dozen profit. I am guessing here but you probably spend around 2.00 in feed etc to produce that dozen eggs so you should consider that when you tally up the bill in my opinion. You deserve to be made whole but I dont think you have the right to ask for the dogs and if you do it will probably make them more hostile about paying you, If they come back I would shoot them collars or not they dont belong on your land. If you agree one something out of court get it in writing so there are no misunderstandings down the road.

I live in a very rural area, and there is not a leash law. However, dog owners are responsible for any damages caused by their animals if they go off the owner's property.
In most states that is the norm.

Emphasis of OP needs to be shifting to prevention more than retribution. Ask others how they dog proofed after incurring losses like this. Invest in preventing such losses before repopulating flock.

Did the neighbor promise to keep her dogs penned from now on? That would be my deciding factor..AND if she follows through with that promise..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom