Neighbor's Dogs Killed Entire Flock & Donkey

DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN AGAIN ! I am so very very sorry for your loss. I can not imagian your pain. Money may compensate but it does not replace.
I would figure a relacement cost for the LAYING LIFE of your chickens. I think you may end up in court. It is sad there are so many irresponsible pet owners. I would also request the dogs be put down. That is very callus but no matter what ~ THEY WILL GET OUT AND KILL AGAIN. Now ~ future prevention. There is NOTHING and I mean NOTHING you are going to put up to keep "killers" out. EXCEPT (99%) electic rope and netting. I have 100 ft.of electric netting (from Premier Fencing) around the outside of my chicken area. Around the fenced chicken yard I have multiple strands, at different heights, electic rope attached to the wire netting. All of this carries 6,000 volts. Inside are my two pens, both heavy wire. I have netting attached from the top of the barn to the top of the pens to prevent coons and such from getting in from above. I also have heavy netting ALL over the top of the entire chicken yard and pens. NOW ~ how to protect them when they free range. That is when I have lost the most chickens. I recently aguired a GUARDING DOG. I mean a REAL guarding dog. Breed for 100 of years just for that purpose. It is a Kangal. Akbash are also great but because of our heat and their longer coat I went with the Kangal. You can Google Kangal. If you are interested in a Kangal (they aren't cheap) I can put you in touch with a breeder just north of Ft. Worth. She will work with you as to the exact dog you need. She is working with the U.S.D.A. using these dogs to protect livestock. If you want more information you can email at [email protected]. Sorry again for all your loss and pain. Wish you the best in the future. p.s. My Kangal pup is the smartest dog I have EVER had or seen. It is almost unbelievable how smart they are.

I asked to dicuss this with her (neighbor) at another time to avoid the emotion ... my initial response was (in my mind) "forget the money, I want the dogs" ... Looks like my other neighbor has had her baby doll sheep attacked. Same scenario with broken necks and what appears to be bite marks.

Attempting to be rationale as this is my neighbor - that has pulled me out of the mud in the past - Whats "fair"? I came up with about $2000 which is the actual raw cost of the birds ($875) - McMurray sells "started pullets" for $17.95 EACH (shipping is $70 !!) ... My number includes the cost of new chicks and feed. The remaining amount is lost revenue over 6 months ... My eggs bring $4 per dozen.

I feel $2000 is fair... but my neighbor may not be my neighbor after asking for this amount

My thoughts.

Do NOT tell the neighbor that you think $2,000 is fair!

Politely lay out your cost/loses to the neighbor and record the conversation secretly.

From a McMurray catalog show the neighbor that pullets are $17.95 each plus $70 shipping.

Explain that your organic eggs sell for $4 a dozen and how much revenue (minus any feed costs) you will lose until the new flock is producing.

Have all this laid out and typed on a piece of paper with no total. Give the paper (and the McMurray catalog) to the neighbor and ask them to think about it until tomorrow evening.

Tomorrow evening. Meet with your neighbor in person (record the conversation secretly). Ask them what they feel is fair compensation. Their answer and attitude will help you decided if the next step is civil court (and if it is you may have recorded the neighbor admitting their dog(s) were responsible).

Well darn it ! Should not do this with out my glasses on. Did it TWICE. Iddy Biddys Eggs, Please go to page 9 for a post. " DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN AGAIN." Sorry 1/2 a sleep need I.V. of coffee.
smile.png

...The insurance company just could not understand how I came up with the figures I did, and they would only pay what it would cost me to purchase seedlings and young trees from a nursery. ...

It's called "Out of pocket expenses".

Today eggs can be sold for $4 a dozen but it may be less (or more) in the future, but no one can forecast the future. So a Judge will award "Out of pocket expenses" to the Plaintiff.

s

My thoughts.

Do NOT tell the neighbor that you think $2,000 is fair!

Politely lay out your cost/loses to the neighbor and record the conversation secretly.

From a McMurray catalog show the neighbor that pullets are $17.95 each plus $70 shipping.

Explain that your organic eggs sell for $4 a dozen and how much revenue (minus any feed costs) you will lose until the new flock is producing.

Have all this laid out and typed on a piece of paper with no total.  Give the paper (and the McMurray catalog) to the neighbor and ask them to think about it until tomorrow evening.

Tomorrow evening.  Meet with your neighbor in person (record the conversation secretly).  Ask them what they feel is fair compensation. Their answer and attitude will help you decided if the next step is civil court (and if it is you may have recorded the neighbor admitting their dog(s) were responsible). 
[/quote

you cannot record conversation in some states when the other party is not aware.

Just an "after thought" from reading all the post. !. Do be careful what you say to your insurance Co. 2. Don't get 'soft' and low-ball your true cost of what you have lost. 3. Load what ever you are shooting with, with HOLLOW POINTS. I HATE to have to kill ANTYHING but if I must I want it to be quick and clean. Hollow point ammo. help assure this.

s
Quote: Federal law permits recording telephone calls and in-person conversations with the consent of at least one of the parties. See 18 U.S.C. 2511(2)(d). This is called a "one-party consent" law. Under a one-party consent law, you can record a phone call or conversation so long as you are a party to the conversation. Furthermore, if you are not a party to the conversation, a "one-party consent" law will allow you to record the conversation or phone call so long as your source consents and has full knowledge that the communication will be recorded.

Last edited:
Quote:
According to the County Marshall in Peach County Ga you have the right to shoot animals that are damaging your property. One of my stipulations with neighbor would be that they do something with the dogs. Once they start running in a pack there is little that you can do to correct that.

Back
Top Bottom