Neighbor's Dogs Killed Entire Flock & Donkey

If she is unable to pay the amount to restore your flock and repurchase a donkey comparable to your donkey (similar age etc), she may have homeowners insurance that would cover this for her. Personal liability is designed for this sort of thing. You should not "profit" from the situation, but you should be made whole and be put back in the same situation that you were in before the dogs got loose. And to be fair, you do not know for sure that it was her dogs whittling down your flock, it could have been feral dogs, other loose pet dogs, hawks, raccoon, fox, coyote etc ... the possibilities are endless!
Good point here ... I started with 75 but only charged her with 40. I had 40 living birds on the ground and the next day I did not.

I may be wrong but I believe you have overvalued your egg production. You may sell the eggs for 4 dollars per dozen but that does not equate to 4 dollars per dozen profit. I am guessing here but you probably spend around 2.00 in feed etc to produce that dozen eggs so you should consider that when you tally up the bill in my opinion. You deserve to be made whole but I dont think you have the right to ask for the dogs and if you do it will probably make them more hostile about paying you, If they come back I would shoot them collars or not they dont belong on your land. If you agree one something out of court get it in writing so there are no misunderstandings down the road.
The way I am looking at this: It will take me 6 months to recover to a point where I can produce eggs. The $875 covers the cost of the lost birds and feed to grow them to laying age. During that time I will not have any egg production - I do not understand what my cost has to do with revenue. If my birds were alive I'd be generating $250 - $300 per month. This is no different than if someone burned down a grocery store full of food. You can replace the food but with no store there is no income. I could give them the option to replace the birds but I do not know how feasible that is. No source for organic birds for sale.

There are ALWAYS more dogs if YOUR property isn't secured.
I'd suggest electric fencing, which will stop 99% of dogs
I am not sure why the responsibility to provide fencing to secure my animals from someone else's domestic animals falls under the category of "my problem".

The area we are talking about is 11 acres in the shape of a "D" ... the entire property is fences ... 6" posts spead 10 feet apart. The back run consists of 48" wire and then two strands of barbed wire. In some areas I have doubled up and brought the fence over 6 feet to discourage jumpers. The sides are 60" horse fence. Front run is 5-wire high tensile and electrified with two solar power heads. You can't touch a gate without getting shocked.

I am not sure why the responsibility to provide fencing to secure my animals from someone else's domestic animals falls under the category of "my problem".

The area we are talking about is 11 acres in the shape of a "D" ... the entire property is fences ... 6" posts spead 10 feet apart. The back run consists of 48" wire and then two strands of barbed wire. In some areas I have doubled up and brought the fence over 6 feet to discourage jumpers. The sides are 60" horse fence. Front run is 5-wire high tensile and electrified with two solar power heads. You can't touch a gate without getting shocked.
I don't think it should be your responsibility. Do you know how they got in??

I almost have to laugh ... Someone said "I should not have left chickens out in the field and tempted the dogs. I was 'asking for it'" ...

I had what was left of my birds in a stick built coop, surrounded by a chain link - dog kennel style - fence. The panels are 10x10 set up as there run. the building sits on cinderblocks with a stacked river stone foundation at the base of the building.

Around the fenced area I have a round pen - corral panels - to keep livestock away from the fence and building.

To get to the coop you have to cross a pasture with cows and a guard donkey which has chased off smaller dogs in the past.

Maybe I need a .50 cal turret system?

Quote: Youve seen the results of counting on THEM to secure THEIR animals.

It's not your "problem"
It's your "responsibility" towards YOUR animals

Or you can do away with all the fencing and just cross your fingers

Show a picture of your fencing so we can see how it might be modified to make it dog tight. Some dogs, like mine, can learn how to get over or through it or even learn to tolerate a pretty good zap if motivated to get through.

Back
Top Bottom