Neighbor's Dogs Killed Entire Flock & Donkey

I myself would be more interested in exterminating the dogs than the money. If your other neighbor also lost livestock due to these dogs I would talk to the other neighbor to call for exterminating these dogs. They have a taste for blood and are no longer fit to be loose because they will hunt and kill anything they can and that is as bad as a pack of coyotes. If the neighbor won't exterminate the dogs I would shoot every dog that came on my property. I have a dog that is very protective of our property and she won't allow other dogs on our place. She also won't allow coons or opossum around either. She doesn't bother the chickens at all. She digs the gophers and moles out of the ground which to me is as bad as having a gopher mound. She is very gentle with the children and loves to play. I hope she never develops a taste for chickens because I would hate to make that decision for my own dog. I used to keep her penned up if we weren't home and at night. If I suspected her of getting a chicken she would immediately be penned again and see if that takes care of it.

Last edited:
The way I am looking at this: It will take me 6 months to recover to a point where I can produce eggs. The $875 covers the cost of the lost birds and feed to grow them to laying age. During that time I will not have any egg production - I do not understand what my cost has to do with revenue. If my birds were alive I'd be generating $250 - $300 per month. This is no different than if someone burned down a grocery store full of food. You can replace the food but with no store there is no income. I could give them the option to replace the birds but I do not know how feasible that is. No source for organic birds for sale.
Revenue is different than profit. Since you no longer have the birds you no longer have any expenses related to the birds they should be only liable to replace your profit not total revenue. If you generate 300 per month but have 150 in expenses they should owe you the 150 per month because that is how much you are out. Plus the cost of the birds of course.

Youve seen the results of counting on THEM to secure THEIR animals.

It's not your "problem"
It's your "responsibility" towards YOUR animals

Or you can do away with all the fencing and just cross your fingers
I see your point ... I think the mistake I made was ignoring the "domestic" threats. I should have eliminated them from the beginning ...worst thing I did was trust someone else would be worried about my animals. Lesson learned.

Regarding the fence ... My intent was always to raise "free range" birds with emphasis on "Free" ... I expected losses by way of a nature tax, but I never anticipated a collared pet to dig through a stacked stone foundation. Another lesson learned.

Double stacked ... several hundred pounds of rock and hours work.

After

if a farmers dog, eats one of his sheep or cattle, the dog is put down, once they get the taste for it, there is no turning back, they will keep coming back,, more determined each time...you can't tell me the neighbour didn't suspect something with their dogs, they would have not been eating their food at home or would be coming home with blood, feathers, wool, on them, sounds like they are just ignorant to what was going on around them...bad dog owners raise bad dogs......so sad for you to lose everything

if a farmers dog, eats one of his sheep or cattle, the dog is put down, once they get the taste for it, there is no turning back, they will keep coming back,, more determined each time...you can't tell me the neighbour didn't suspect something with their dogs, they would have not been eating their food at home or would be coming home with blood, feathers, wool, on them, sounds like they are just ignorant to what was going on around them...bad dog owners raise bad dogs......so sad for you to lose everything
A big part of what is said there is not accurate.

I see your point ... I think the mistake I made was ignoring the "domestic" threats. I should have eliminated them from the beginning ...worst thing I did was trust someone else would be worried about my animals. Lesson learned.

Regarding the fence ... My intent was always to raise "free range" birds with emphasis on "Free" ... I expected losses by way of a nature tax, but I never anticipated a collared pet to dig through a stacked stone foundation. Another lesson learned.

Double stacked ... several hundred pounds of rock and hours work.

After
Where did the rocks that were misplaced go? Could something like large boards be used there in addition to the rocks?

Show more of the setup. Maybe there is a better location to place barriers.

So sorry for your difficult time and losses
hugs.gif

Many years ago I got 10 years of grief the only time I tried to do the right thing and give a distant neighbors dog a second chance, and even third, When the dog no longer came back I thought they had taken care of it, I later found that the man that owned the dog told his kids I did something to their dog which I didn't, it came to light years later that their own farther had put the dog down and then blamed it on me.. but those poor kids gave me a hard time thinking I did away with their dog..
So now it is SSS , if a dog takes after my birds after it gets past my pack of dogs.

This is a typical day in the neighborhood ... everyone set way back from the fence lines. My chickens lived free ... no medications, no antibiotics... natural selection. The greatest loss I sustained was to an owl that took three roosters before he was captured. I wanted my chickens to live free because I spent my youth watching birds live and die in captivity. These past few months the birds lived in total captivity only going out to pasture when I watched over them like a shepherd. I had more fencing and security measures implemented then I ever had in the past... these birds were left in the middle of a 25 acre pasture in tractors guarded by a donkey and I did not lose a feather ...

Back
Top Bottom