Neighbor's Dogs Killed Entire Flock & Donkey

Of course I only have pictures of 4-board fence ... the perimeter is wire mesh on three sides - 48" tall with 2 strands of barbed wire at the top on 60" posts at the back and one strand on the sides.

Front fence is 5 wire high tensile (on outside) across 6 inch posts set 8-10 feet apart, again on 60" posts. On the inside is light gauge three wire set 8-12 inches apart. So basically you have to stick your nose up against or under an electrified wire across the front. The gates are not electrified. These dogs are pretty big so they must have found a way in.

I don't have a good picture of the high tensile ... you really can't see it. Looks like nothing is there.

Seems like I am always taking pictures of some ONE or THING ... Fence in the background is what I have on three sides.

Your rock foundation can be made more secure by restacking, then covering with a coat of mortar to fuse them together

Lay them on a wire apron first
Yes ... this was a mistake. The building sits low to the ground at the back, higher on the door side. I never thought something would crawl under and try to dig through. The rocks are HEAVY and I thought surely nothing would move them.

Do you have a scope on a varmint rifle? I would leave a gate open for that dog to come in and shoot it. Before I let my dog stay out of the pen I would get a neighbor's dog in my yard and I would hit it with the pellet gun to deter it. I haven't seen it since I have let my dog out of the pen. I don't know if the pellet gun gave it something to remember, my dog keeps it away, maybe penned up or dead.

I want to come up with a way I can let my chickens run free and provide them security. I thought this was possible but this tragedy has me thinking it will never work ... Can you truly secure 10 or 20 acres and keep all predators out?

My birds were happiest ... I say happy ... produced the most when allowed to free range. They even figured out how to deal with hawks. I could tell when the red tails came in for late morning hunting ... they would all run under the Oaks and hide in the low lying shrubs. I just want them to live naturally .... To romantic? It worked until the 3-legged dog came!

I see your point ... I think the mistake I made was ignoring the "domestic" threats. I should have eliminated them from the beginning ...worst thing I did was trust someone else would be worried about my animals. Lesson learned.

Regarding the fence ... My intent was always to raise "free range" birds with emphasis on "Free" ... I expected losses by way of a nature tax, but I never anticipated a collared pet to dig through a stacked stone foundation. Another lesson learned.

Double stacked ... several hundred pounds of rock and hours work.

After

After seeing all of the measures you've already taken to protect your livestock, I am going to reiterate what I said before - If you see the dogs on your property again, shoot first, ask questions later. You can only do so much to defend what's yours. The owners have a responsibility in this, too, and if they can't take care of the problem, then you're within your rights to eliminate a problem on your property.

I agree strongly with those who share the concern that these dogs could turn on humans at some point, with this kind of behavior. And if you have had other dogs attack you before on your own property, I'm honestly surprised that someone's dog hasn't already been shot in self defense.

It would be expensive but a 8 foot high chain link with a foot of concrete in the ground under it would definitely keep varmints away but you would still be susceptible to predatory birds. A coon or opossum could still climb over it though. Maybe a electric strand on top.

Last edited:
Do you have a scope on a varmint rifle? I would leave a gate open for that dog to come in and shoot it. Before I let my dog stay out of the pen I would get a neighbor's dog in my yard and I would hit it with the pellet gun to deter it. I haven't seen it since I have let my dog out of the pen. I don't know if the pellet gun gave it something to remember, my dog keeps it away, maybe penned up or dead.

We got a rifle ... and a scope ... He tried to run. No collar ... that was the difference

Given the history of these dogs I don't think the collar should make a difference any more. Of course that is easier said than done. I'm sad for the position you find yourself in.

Back
Top Bottom