Neighbor's Dogs Killed Entire Flock & Donkey

Your rock foundation can be made more secure by restacking, then covering with a coat of mortar to fuse them together

Lay them on a wire apron first
I used 16 gauge 1/2" hardware cloth apron around the bottom of my coup(some bury it in the ground but I didn't. I curled mine out onto the ground, then stacked rock on top of it.

Given the history of these dogs I don't think the collar should make a difference any more. Of course that is easier said than done. I'm sad for the position you find yourself in.
I have several dogs ... very old now. Two are 17 years old ... Can't imagine how I'd feel if one were shot. Then again I would never allow one of mine to go off killing...

I have several dogs ... very old now. Two are 17 years old ... Can't imagine how I'd feel if one were shot. Then again I would never allow one of mine to go off killing... 

That is the difference! Best of luck to you going forward. I hope the neighbor gets it and not only compensates you but deals with the bigger problem going forward..

We got a rifle ... and a scope ... He tried to run. No collar ... that was the difference

Nicely done. my property isn't large enough to get anything more than my 10/22 out but it will do the job. I wouldn't want to hit anything on a neighbor's property. I also could use my pistol which has a laser site. I just sited it in and it would also work but much louder than the 22. I wouldn't worry about any collars when it comes to protecting your flock and livestock.

a terrible thing to have happen! in my opinion, if you have the heart to start over, I think you have to mentally prepare yourself to only have what you can guard. that's the way of life I think. if it were me, I would cultivate the reputation of being a dog killer of any dogs that came on my place. people learn to keep their dogs up if they want to keep them.
you either have to accept that other people will be careless of their animals and thus rob you of your right to have livestock safely on your own place - OR, other people learn that you will do what you have to do in order to protect your place and your livestock from predation. it's kind of an 'either/or' situation in my mind.

sorry for your troubles

i have lost 2 goats, a cat, and so many chickens i cant even keep count by wild and domestic dogs and i had to shoot my neighbors pit because it got into a pen with 4 pregnant goats of mine but just advice for the future if chickens go missing continuously watch them and dont be afraid to shoot something if it goes after the chickens be it a collared dog or not. I am very sorry for the loss or your flock.
hugs.gif
but it might be a blessing in disguise
wink.png

IddyBiddysEggs,

I am starting to get a handle on your setup which in terms of acreage is not all that different from mine. Losses while birds where confined is likely coincidental as it could have happened when birds where free-ranging. I do not like dogs that are not mine mingling with stock so take considerable efforts to block their access. If the dogs can get past the perimeter into the core that frees dogs up to invest effort on your hardened pens. My suggestion is greatest blocking efforts be concentrated around the perimeter. You already have much in place needed to stop dogs but fencing as I can see it would not stop many dogs. First look for gaps around low spots and trees next to fence and patch those. Then look into how electrified fencing can be used to repel dogs getting ready to jump or go through fence. I like to look at the regular fencing as a tool that ensures predators linger long enough on wire to get zapped. This sometimes involves spacing adjustments of a couple inches or so. A closeup photograph of your fencing, especially as an approaching dog would see it would be very helpful. If it is not the same all the way around, remember dogs will probe it for weakness over time. Also consider electrified poultry netting.

I keep birds free-range as well and replace of their loss is tough for me because they are out of by broodstock and certain times of year are better with respect to how easy it is to replace losses. You current rate of taxation by nature would not be sustainable for me. Once loose dog problem is licked you will still want to manage losses to wildlife a little better. Also the forage base your birds have access to might be improved by limiting the competition a little,

I haven't read all the posts, but I hope the first thing the OP did was to call the sheriff. It is the rare community that does not have dog control laws. The next step should have been to call your insurance company. Emotional connection aside, this is a case of property loss and destruction. I probably wouldn't even try to talk to the neighbor with the out-of-control dogs at this point. I'd take the case straight to much higher authority.

IMO With dog problems what u want ( free range ) isn't going to be an option. I would section off a part of land however big with electric fencing. Then inside of that a coop and run. I have personally watched my dog investigate the new wire and by his reaction I don't see any dogs getting through it. Mine is 7 wires high about 5' tall

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom